View Single Post
Old 12-29-2008, 08:57 PM
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
I am trying really hard to discover why a forum designed and populated by bible believing brothers and sisters is trying so hard to get me to not believe what I read in the very bible they say is God’s providentially appointed Word for the whole world. Something is very wrong.
You mean like this verse?
Revelation 22:17 And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.
Brother, I was a hard-line Calvinist at one point, so I know the logic-box inside-out that traps a believer into the system of Calvinism.

It comes down to understanding predestination. There is predestination, but our choice to believe the Gospel is not what is predestinated by God. I tried to deal with this in this post before.

Bringing this back on topic (hi VR!), the obvious verse is:
Ephesians 1:13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

This is another one of those verses that 5-point Calvinism doesn't want you to believe. According to Calvin, Paul got this one backwards. I prefer Paul over Calvin.

Brother Gord, I really do suggest Vance's book. He goes through Calvinism with a fine-tooth comb and if there are any questions you have about the matter that Vance doesn't address, I'd be surprised.

Hope this helps.