Thread: Bible College
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2008, 10:41 AM

Default Re: Books on Dispensationalism

Aloha brother Stephen,

I personally think that Larkin and Ruckman are the two best sources on Dispensationalism.

However, brother Walker's book gives plenty enough information about the subject to satisfy most Christian's interests - unless someone wants to go further "in-depth" on the subject, in which case I think that a person can not go too far afield with Larkin and Ruckman. {Keeping in mind that nobody's perfect - And no one man is the repository of all truth.}

In the more distant past George Hawkins Pember, Ethelbert William Bullinger, and Cornelius Stam were excellent sources on Dispensationalism. However Bullinger and Stam became "HYPERS" (Hyper-dispensationalists or Ultra-dispensationalists) - that is they ended up "dividing" the word of God up so much (chopping up the Bible in such a way that practically the whole Bible ends up not applying to Christians) that they often make the word of God of none effect!

We have to be careful (extremely careful) that we don't get carried away with Dispensationalism (or any other "pet doctrine" - Prophecy, Tongues, Healing, Hair Covering, Hair Length, Deeper Life, Unity, Love, Evangelicalism, etc., etc., and yes, even King James Onlyism) to the point where we don't maintain the "balance" {Faith, Love, and Truth} that God would have us maintain in our lives.

In order to maintain that "balance" we have to keep our eye on the Lord Jesus Christ at all times and look to His Holy word (and not men) for the answers to all the issues of life.

As I have said before - Please Note: I do not recommend men - I recommend some of their books. I try not to glorify, commend, or idolize men - and I do not follow them. One of the curses of modern day Christianity is "respect of persons" and the elevation of Christian "personalities" (pastors, evangelists, teachers, psychiatrists/psychologists, etc.)

Always remember: God wants OBEDIENCE from His people not SACRIFICE! He wants FRUIT in our lives, for if we have FRUIT - the WORKS will follow.