View Single Post
Old 01-19-2009, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George
Job 38:1 Then the LORD answered Job out of the whirlwind, and said,
2 Who is this that darkeneth counsel by words without knowledge?

WHO was God "answering"? God was "answering" Job (for some of the things that Job said previously.) - God wasn't "addressing" Elihu, He was addressing" ("answering") Job!
The counsel was being given by the friends to Job. Clearly Elihu was acting as a counseller. On examining commentaries on this verse, while they appear to favour that Job is being referred to, they acknowledge that there are those who think Elihu is being referred to.

Job 42:8 shows that God is not accusing Job of speaking wrongly, "Therefore take unto you now seven bullocks and seven rams, and go to my servant Job, and offer up for yourselves a burnt offering; and my servant Job shall pray for you: for him will I accept: lest I deal with you after your folly, in that ye have not spoken of me the thing which is right, like my servant Job."

Since Job spoke aright, how could he be the one who "darkeneth counsel by words without knowledge"? Even though he did indeed say, "Behold, I am vile; what shall I answer thee? I will lay mine hand upon my mouth." (Job 40:4). By doing this, Job was kept from the sin of falsely accusing God of his troubles. (Job's problem was his fear, and confession of it in Job 1:5, which opened the door for Satan's torments in his life.)

Clearly, Elihu did speak rightly, but "Desiring to be teachers of the law; understanding neither what they say, nor whereof they affirm." (1 Tim. 1:7).