Thread: SWORD Wars
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2008, 08:52 PM
Doxa

Default People of the Way

1.Do you believe women should be allowed to preach?

I wrote this a long time ago; so glad I was able to locate it in my files; this about sums up what I believe on the verses that pertain to “women preachers”…….please note this was years ago, and even the Baptist folks that I knew encouraged me to study this out using Greek manuscripts and materials even providing me with books to study further.

Greetings in the Name of Jesus.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx....

Recently, on another discussion board the verses in Ephesians came to light...

Eph 4:8-11
8 Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men.
9 (Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth?
10 He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things.)
11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
(KJV)

XXXXX, would you not assume that it would suggest that these gifts were given to “men”???
But look at the definitions for this Greek word “men”... (It is not the Greek word for only men.)

STRONG’s Definition:

444 anthropos (anth'-ro-pos);

from 435 and ops (the countenance; from 3700); man-faced, i.e. a human being:

KJV-- certain, man.

THAYERS’ Definition:

444 anthropos-

1) a human being, whether male or female
a) generically, to include all human individuals
b) to distinguish man from beings of a different race or order
1) used of animals and plants
2) used of from God and Christ
3) used of the angels
c) with the added notion of weakness, by which man is led
into a mistake or prompted to sin
d) with the adjunct notion of contempt or disdainful pity
e) with reference to two fold nature of man, body and soul
f) with reference to the two fold nature of man, the corrupt
and the truly Christian man, conformed to the nature of God
g) with reference to sex, a male
2) indefinitely, someone, a man, one
3) in the plural, people
4) joined with other words, merchantman

Would that not IN FACT support the role of women in the Ministry??? Hence, my question.

The following is a letter I wrote sometime ago on another discussion board.

Dear Saints of God,
Greetings in the Name of Jesus.
This question impacted me greatly over a year ago. The scriptures that we are discussing are:

1 Cor 14:34-36
34 Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law.
35 And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.
36 What? came the word of God out from you? or came it unto you only?
(KJV)

1 Tim 2:11-12
11 Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection.
12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.
(KJV)

What happened to me was that if you take verse 1 Cor 14:34 “literally as translated”, it conflicts with the Bible. Then, I noticed that each church divides that verse or interprets it the way they feel like it; basically how much a woman can participate in church. When you take it literally (just the way it is written) a woman cannot even pray in church. This of course opposes other Scripture where we are to pray without ceasing. I was thoroughly confused as I looked at many translations and discovered that most were translated the same way.
Did this mean that women should not go to church, I wondered? What am I doing in church if I cannot pray out loud or sing or prophecy or have a Word of Knowledge, etc. etc. There are many churches, I believe, that will not let a woman pass out communion and a host of other things, but I ask you, where is the Biblical support for that?

So, I went to the Greek manuscripts, and this is what I came up with after much study and reading on this topic:

This is my translation based on the manuscripts that I saw:

1 Cor 14:34 Let your wives be in quietness in the assemblies, for it is not permitted for them to chatter, but let them be in subjection, as the law also says.
1 Cor 14:35 If they desire to learn anything, let them ask their own husbands at home, for it is shameful for a wife to chatter in the assembly.

(Another picture of marriage representing the Christ and the Bride of Christ, silent before God, and asking God privately for revelation.)

1 Tim 2:11 Let a wife learn in quietness with all subjection.
1 Tim 2:12 But I do not permit a wife to teach-as ruling or lording over her husband nor with her own words kills her husband but to be in quietness.

(A picture of the Bride of Christ and their Husband, Jesus)

Regarding the word “speak” in 1 Cor 14:34…in the Greek it is 2980 laleo: to talk, utter words, emit a sound, speak, use tongue, utter articulate sounds, to tell, declare one’s mind, disclose one’s thoughts (an extended or random harangue (to address in) a noisy or scolding speech---idle chatter, talk idly)

Here is the important note about the word “teach” in 1 Tim 2:12: Strong’s #1321 didasko 1) to teach, instruct by word of mouth: what is meant in this verse is teaching that is lording over her husband. Very important note—this Greek word “teach” is not 1317, 1318, 1319, 1320, 1322 --- various other words for “teach” in the Greek. I would advise checking them out and comparing the various definitions for “teach”.

Also, regarding usurp authority --- that is #831 authenteo 1) one who with his own hands kills another or himself 2) one who acts on his own authority, autocratic 3) an absolute master 4) to govern, to exercise dominion over one.

I believe these Scriptures are dealing with husbands and wives because they are a picture of Jesus Christ, ever Faithful (Our Lover), and His Bride, who Love and Respect HIM. I believe marriage should be a replica of this.

This is what happened to me last year…I was sitting in the living room and after much searching and studying, I asked the Lord why do so many of these translations translate the same way? The Lord gave me only one word, “Persecution”.

2.Do you believe that the catholics go to heaven with their interpretation of scripture?

3.Do you believe that all Churches are set for heaven regardless of their doctrine? if they say they "believe" in Jesus

Regarding 2 & 3, I will answer them together….

Point One:
Luke 9:49-51
49 And John answered and said, Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name; and we forbad him, because he followeth not with us.
50 And Jesus said unto him, Forbid him not: for he that is not against us is for us.
KJV
Point Two:
Rom 8:19-20
19 For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God.
KJV
Point Three:
I for one believe this will surprise us when it happens…
Matt 7:20-24
20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.
21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
Point Four:
Matt 25:31-26:1
31 When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory:
32 And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:
33 And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.
34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.
37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?
38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?
39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.
41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:
42 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:
43 I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.
44 Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?
45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.
46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.
KJV

As far as those who make it to Heaven, I do believe that God looks on the heart. Those who fear HIM (JESUS) and love HIM and Obey Him.

4.Do you believe in the gift of tongues………
Acts 2:3-4
3 And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.
4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.
KJV
Acts 2:11-12
11 Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.
KJV
Acts 10:46-47
46 For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter,
KJV
Acts 19:6-7
6 And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.
KJV
1 Cor 12:10-11
10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:
KJV
1 Cor 12:28-29
28 And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.
KJV
1 Cor 12:30-31
30 Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?
KJV
1 Cor 13:8-9
8 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.
KJV
1 Cor 14:5-6
5 I would that ye all spake with tongues, but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying.
KJV
1 Cor 14:6-7
6 Now, brethren, if I come unto you speaking with tongues, what shall I profit you, except I shall speak to you either by revelation, or by knowledge, or by prophesying, or by doctrine?
KJV
1 Cor 14:18-19
18 I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all:
KJV
1 Cor 14:21-22
21 In the law it is written, With men of other tongues and other lips will I speak unto this people; and yet for all that will they not hear me, saith the Lord.
KJV
1 Cor 14:22-24
22 Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.
23 If therefore the whole church be come together into one place, and all speak with tongues, and there come in those that are unlearned, or unbelievers, will they not say that ye are mad?
KJV
1 Cor 14:39-40
39 Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues.
KJV

5.You said back in a previous post, that God showed you a vision of Elijah is that correct?
Yes, and many other awesome experiences from the Lord.