Thread: New Wine?
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2008, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diligent View Post
John 2 does not say Jesus drank any of the wine he made. (It also does not say "new wine," not that the new/old wine thing has anything to do with whether or not it is alcoholic.)

That's MY belief, as I'm sure it is many folks who read this do. Don't muzzle the ox, let him eat(drink) too.

1 Timothy 5:18 For the scripture saith, Thou shalt not muzzle the ox that treadeth out the corn. And, The labourer is worthy of his reward.

1. It also says not to be among "riotous eaters of flesh." If people who drink any amount of wine are winebibbers, then people who eat any meat are "riotous eaters of flesh" -- have you been to some of these old-fashioned Baptist pot lucks?

Yes I have "chowed down". I think "riotiously" is the operative word here.

John 2 doesn't mention drunkenness. Are you assuming that?

I'm assuming Lee might be thinking "well drunk" may mean that. I believe that's "well filled".

John 2:10 And saith unto him, Every man at the beginning doth set forth good wine; and when men have well drunk, then that which is worse: but thou hast kept the good wine until now.

It is indisputable that drunkenness is sin. It is also indisputable that it takes more than a small amount of alcohol to become drunk. Otherwise, I hope you are real careful about which cough medicine you buy.

I think you are right. It does take "more than a small amount".

John 2 doesn't say anything about drunks. It says "wine." So does 1Ti 5:23.
(cf. john 2:10 "well drunk".)