Thread: Deuteronomy
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2008, 07:50 PM
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Tim View Post
Church is not court, but I am coming into the presence of God in worship. Does He not deserve at least as much respect as a merely human judge?
God deserves more respect. But what does an earthly judge have to do with God?
1 Samuel 16:7 But the LORD said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the LORD seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the LORD looketh on the heart.
That's really what it comes down to. I'm all for clean dress -- I don't leave the house looking like I got out of bed. But I don't see that God makes an issue of whether or not I wear jeans or slacks, or a button shirt or a t-shirt.

I once heard a pastor offering a praise over the fact that a man in the church who could barely afford his rent was able to buy an $800 suit to wear during his church duties. Looking back on that, I think of two things: what of "modest apparel?" I don't think I could find a set of clothes in my home that costs so much. And what of priorities? Does God care to have us turn Church into a men's fashion show, or should such a man be encouraged to save his money or invest it wisely?

Anyway, I guess I have to say again that I don't have anything against suits or nice clothes. I do have something against emphasis being put on them. I am open to being corrected with Scripture, so if I am missing a commandment please show me. (Priestly Mosaic robes separating the priesthood from everyone else don't count -- certainly business attire doesn't separate a Christian man from the world).