View Single Post
Old 07-24-2008, 03:59 PM
Connie

Good grief. I think that explanation of "strain at" is a very strained rationalization, that's how it hits me, an acrobatic mental exercise in cramming the meaning of exertion and filtering into one -- which in fact I've been saying all along and in fact you seemed to see the point yourself a few posts back. It's not really relevant that lexicons use the Greek sources, or that John Gill did, that I can see, you'd have to show how they used it in this case, a discussion of the Greek meaning etc., but you aren't doing that, you are content to upbraid me for some sin or other in finding the interpretation to be forced. I didn't assert anything by the way about John Gill except what was in the quote given here and all he did was interpret "strain at" without reference to the Greek or "strain out," so no, I am not committing this sin you accuse me of.

You want me to accept this interpretation, this explanation, this rationalization of "strain at" as if it is objective evidence for its intentional inclusion in the Bible. Now if the translators themselves give this same explanation or interpretation, THAT I would have to take seriously, but otherwise this just sounds like everybody is straining to put the two different meanings together. What if the translators chose "strain at" just because it had become the accepted idea and not because it accurately reflected the Greek? Is that a possibility? What if nobody would ever have known there was that other meaning of filtering if the new versions hadn't forced so many of us to be constantly looking up the Greek? Brother Tim didn't even picture the action of filtering out a gnat with a strainer. Most of us don't read "strain at" to include anything about filtering. You can interpret the passage just fine without any indication of filtering, as it appears Matthew Henry did (You are saying John Gill included it but I haven't seen it yet and yes, again, I would expect you to quote it since you are asserting it).

You want me to just "see" as you all seem to, that WHATEVER is in the KJB is exactly what is supposed to be there and it's a spiritual problem of mine if I don't, so that ends it for you. Fine, let it be ended. I'm spiritually deficient and that's that.