View Single Post
Old 07-24-2008, 04:12 AM

Hi Folks,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connie
No, Steven, we haven't discussed it at all. I have merely referred to what was posted here, which addresses the meaning of "strain at" without mentioning the option of "strain out" as I recall. But nobody answered me until now. All I read was what somebody posted. .
Then you should not make a comment that presumed in error "anything having to do with filtering ...I never had that context in mind when I read it, and neither do the commentators mentioned, John Gill". The commentaries of John Gill are in-depth on Hebraic issues, why not learn to look him up; instead of spending so much effort making false presumptions and comments ?

Quote:
If he makes a comment somewhere about the choice of "at" over "out" that should have been the first -- and probably only -- thing quoted from him. It might have saved a lot of useless speculation.
More presumption, conjecture and speculation from you. Why not at least educate yourself first (you can find his commentary easily in Google and NT verses are at crosswalk.com) instead of looking like a foolish critic of John Gill on this verse and of excellent writers like Will Kinney who seek out and share information from various sources, and of the verse itself in the King James Bible ?

Quote:
I did not recognize the name Jeffrey Nachimson that you brought up and I still don't. I don't know what you are referring to. You say he has proved that the translators intended "strain at?" I haven't seen this yet although you are claiming it is so. Also, apparently I didn't grasp what you were suggesting about finding the point in the Allen and Jacobs book, so now that I do I can see if it's possible to follow up on that.
Jeffrey Nachimson is the author (he has written exceellent web articles on the Johannine Comma and other issues) who gave us the section about the deliberate nature of the King James Bible change to "strain at" that he discovered through his own studies a couple of years ago, using the Ward Allen book.

The section that you yourself highlighted as especially significant. Will Kinney quotes Jeffrey in the section that you highlighted in the first post on this very thread.
http://av1611.com/forums/showpost.ph...96&postcount=1
(although you passed by Jeffrey's other note, the Greek lexicon entry, which discussed awareness of, seeing, a gnat and making effort .. rather than simply passive straining, without comment).

Shalom,
Steven

Last edited by Steven Avery; 07-24-2008 at 04:35 AM.