View Single Post
Old 05-01-2008, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Tim
... a sufficient quote must be provided so that others will not accuse anyone of taking words out of context. Second, will permission need to be granted by Dr. Ruckman for use of sizable quotes?
Hi Tim,

For material from the Bible Believers Bulletin, sizable section quotes can just be a URL to the bulletin itself with the article name and page number.

My understanding (I have looked into this some) is that legally fairly good chunks of quotes are totally permissable under 'fair use' where the purpose is the discussion and analysis of the quotes. Technically speaking even a whole work can be copied within the context of such review and analysis, of course that is rare and not at all the desire and intention in this situation. (Try to find any copyright case that was against a review or discussion for quoting too much, I would be interested if any such case even exists, considering fair use. Some of those types of issues came up in the recent JW attempts to supress early historical documentation of their writings and views, however that was full posting of material with minimal intervening discussion.)

And the fact that the discussion takes place on the same forum can constitute prima facie evidence of fair use.

Now, it is a courtesy to inform anybody when you are discussing their writings in any depth, especially to give them a chance to reply to critical comments. Since most of the discussion we are talking about in this context is doctrinal, comparing views of Bible purity and specifics of the King James Bible view, that may not be seen as necessary.

Quote:
Will it be necessary to have familiarity with Dr. Ruckman's works as a whole to adequately discuss his views and alternatives to those views? I don't have any of his books to review and cannot afford them at present.
The many issues of the Bible Believers Bulletin can likely give you a free and pretty decent orientation. Some issues may not be covered there but those that are should be in synch with his books. A couple of books are probably not a bad idea as well, if any discussion gets involved I would probably invest $20+ on such as well.

Quote:
Are resources other than the bulletins available on the net? Sermons, articles, etc.
On text, I have run across only small sections, such as the sections on the Johannine Comma and the unicorn question. There are YouTube videos, probably unauthorized and copyright dubious, also they probably would not add much to any technical or conceptual discussion (a video could help someone get a sense of his personal presentation, one which I appreciated). Probably a similar situation on any audios on the net.

Shalom,
Steven

Last edited by Steven Avery; 05-01-2008 at 06:07 AM.