View Single Post
Old 02-18-2008, 01:13 PM
jerry

You are creating a contradiction in Scripture where there is none. In the OT, they were commanded to love their neighbours (it is not just an NT command), and they were commanded by God to go to war at various times against their enemies (which were also God's enemies - I'm sure you are not stating that God is not a God of love because He fights against His enemies!).

In the OT, the believer were to defend their families and homes, their countries. There is nothing in the Bible to indicate that we are no longer to do this.

Matthew 5 is dealing with being taken to court and being smitten by the judge or officers - and to not resist, turn the other cheek, give them your coat, go the extra mile willingly rather than being forced to do so.

Matthew 5:38-42 Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth: But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also. And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloke also. And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain. Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away.

We see Jesus and Paul actually obeying these commands. They accepted the smiting and abuse of the officers - though Paul exposed their misuse of the law.

You agree that governments have the right to wield the sword. Well, our governments use the armies and navies, etc. to make terrorists and wicked countries pay for their crimes. If you are part of that army, then you are wielding the sword they have given you to fulfill their purpose. That doesn't contradict Scripture. Of course, I would make sure I knew what the conflict was about and that it did not go against God's Word before getting involved.

I couldn't imagine myself wielding a weapon - though if I was drafted and was required to fight by my government, I would obey them as the Bible commands me to do.