View Single Post
Old 06-10-2008, 08:24 PM

George and others:
I think that it is a fair statement to make that we all have Godly people whom we "respect", that is, hold in high esteem. The intent of the word "respect" is different here than what is shown in the Scripture verses that you used. I won't bother with copying definitions, because I think that it is obvious.

Here are a couple of verses to back me up, hopefully: (thanks to SwordSearcher!)

Quote:
1 Thessalonians 5:12-13 And we beseech you, brethren, to know them which labour among you, and are over you in the Lord, and admonish you; And to esteem them very highly in love for their work's sake. And be at peace among yourselves.

Hebrews 13:7 Remember them which have the rule over you, who have spoken unto you the word of God: whose faith follow, considering the end of their conversation.

Hebrews 6:12 That ye be not slothful, but followers of them who through faith and patience inherit the promises.

1 Corinthians 4:16 Wherefore I beseech you, be ye followers of me.

1 Corinthians 11:1 Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.

Philippians 3:17 Brethren, be followers together of me, and mark them which walk so as ye have us for an ensample.

1 Thessalonians 1:6 And ye became followers of us, and of the Lord, having received the word in much affliction, with joy of the Holy Ghost:

2 Thessalonians 3:7 For yourselves know how ye ought to follow us: for we behaved not ourselves disorderly among you;

2 Thessalonians 3:9 Not because we have not power, but to make ourselves an ensample unto you to follow us.
I would say that this makes it clear that "respect" can be bad or good, depending on the intent.

A warning then to those (us, myself included) who consider themselves qualified to give counsel:

Quote:
James 3:1 My brethren, be not many masters, knowing that we shall receive the greater condemnation.

Matthew 23:8-10 But be not ye called Rabbi: for one is your Master, even Christ; and all ye are brethren. And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven. Neither be ye called masters: for one is your Master, even Christ.

1 Peter 5:3 Neither as being lords over God's heritage, but being ensamples to the flock.

Matthew 15:13-14 But he answered and said, Every plant, which my heavenly Father hath not planted, shall be rooted up. Let them alone: they be blind leaders of the blind. And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch.
Woe to those pastors and Bible teachers who have given those who looked up to them bad advice concerning the KJB and its "supposed errors". I do not want to be in their place when they face judgment.