View Single Post
Old 05-18-2008, 12:03 AM
Truth4Today

Lightbulb Keep Your Feet On The Rock When You Reach The End Of Your Rope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connie View Post
The New Testament was written in "koine" Greek, or vulgar Greek, the Greek of the people and not of the scholars and philosophers. There is no such thing as Biblical English or at least there is no Biblical support for such an idea, although I would grant that such an idea is defensible as guided by the Holy Spirit.
This is only partially true. Yes, the New Testament was not written in the philosophers Greek, but rather koine (κοινoς) that is “common” as you have pointed out. However, you must realize that the koine Greek was influenced by the Hebrew, which as the time of the writing of it (i.e. the New Testament) was the standard Bible for the Jewish people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freesundayschoollessons View Post
Biblical English? It is Shakesperean English with a few biblical terms.
Biblical English is English that transparently expresses what is in the Greek and Hebrew sanctioned texts.

Quote:
Koine Greek was the common, spoken language of NT times.
Yes, but certainly influenced by the Hebrew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophronismos View Post
Biblical English is just English with a way to distinguish between plural and singular you
When we talk about Biblical English we are not limiting it to just some words (e.g. ye, thee, thou, thine) or even to words endings like est or eth. We are really talking about the language as a whole. Its syntax, grammar, vocabulary, idioms and the like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophronismos View Post
A translation into modern English as the new Biblical English is viable; you just have to choose one of these options, or mix and match.
If we are talking about English, than we need a standard way of saying Biblical things. Leave the semantics to preaching.

Quote:
Here are some colloquialisms in the KJV:
"God forbid."
"God speed"

And my favorite...
"All Scripture is given by the inspiration of God..."
The phrase (μη γενοιτo) was an expression that was used in Hebraic fashion. Read what the Trinitarian Bible Society has to say in there Quarterly Record issue # 578 Jan-Mar 2007, p. 10:
Quote:
_ Romans 3.4 –
The exclamation ‘God forbid’ is considered
far too free a translation. The Greek
literally means, ‘May it not be!’ but since
it is an exclamation of abhorrence, some
scholars, like Professor John Murray, have
defended the AV rendering. Murray writes,
‘It really needs the force of the expression
given in our version “God forbid”’. In
a footnote, Murray says, ‘me genoito corresponds
to a Hebrew expression and
actually occurs in the LXX of Gen 44:7,17;
Josh 22:29; 24:16; 1 Kgs 21:3. The
Hebrew expression is sometimes used
with names for God (1 Sam 24:6—“The
Lord forbid that I should do this thing
unto my master”.
See also: 26:11;
1 Kgs 21:3; 1 Chron 11:19; Job 34:10)’.
He concludes: ‘Hence our English expression
“God forbid” has biblical precedent.
The Greek me genoito, indicating the
recoil of abhorrence, needs the strength
of this English rendering derived from the
Hebrew’.
So here we have a prime example of Hebraic influence on the New Testament Greek, and at that, it also being recognized by King James’ translators.

Even Ruckman acknowledges this bit of truth when he states (How To Teach The Original Greek p. 34):
Quote:
WHO is it that lets things “be, or not be?” WHO is it that can let a thing happen, or prevent it from happening? Are we to assume a converted Orthodox Jewish rabbinical scholar (Phil. 3) wouldn’t have THAT in mind when he said “Let it not be!”?... If you were a Bible-believing Christian, you would know it was a PRAYER, as well as a denial. Paul is asking God to forbid such a thing from ever happening.(This is where the NIV got “NEVER” from). God is going to forbid it from “being” (happening). But without God as the source for letting some things happen, while stopping other things from “becoming,” the expression is not translated at all. It is missing its most basic essential element: the One who forbids.
As far as the expression (θεoπνευστος) is concerned, the word is a compound of the word God and spirit (or breath) and is speaking of the thing not only breathed by God but that which is in-spirited by Him. Meaning that His Spirit is within His word. Hence, the word inspiration or in-spirit-ion (that act of in spiriting). Howbeit the context in which it is being used clearly encompasses the giving of such.

- “One accurate measurement is worth more than a thousand expert opinions”

- “...this is the Word of God; come, search, ye critics, and find a flaw; examine it, from its Genesis to its Revelation, and find an error... This is the book untainted by any error; but is pure, unalloyed, perfect truth. Why? Because God wrote it. Ah! charge God with error if you please; tell him that his book is not what it ought to be. I have heard men, with prudish and mock-modesty, who would like to alter the Bible; and (I almost blush to say it) I have heard ministers alter God's Bible, because they were afraid of it... Pity they were not born when God lived far—far back that they might have taught God how to write.” Charles Haddon Spurgeon (Spurgeon's Sermons Volume 1: Sermon II p. 31)

- “If, therefore, any do complain that I have sometimes hit my opponents rather hard, I take leave to point out that 'to everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the sun' : 'a time to embrace, and a time to be far from embracing' : a time for speaking smoothly, and a time for speaking sharply. And that when the words of Inspiration are seriously imperilled, as now they are, it is scarcely possible for one who is determined effectually to preserve the Deposit in its integrity, to hit either too straight or too hard.” Dean John William Burgon (The Revision Revised. pp. vii-viii)