View Single Post
Old 09-24-2008, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibleprotector View Post
PB1789, do you think there is a perfect Greek text edition of the New Testament? Do you think there is a perfect English text and translation Bible?
Hello. Pardon the delay in posting a reply, but I was on another website giving a lengthy reply to a jewish woman who likes to try and trip/trick Christians with her posts. She is afraid that we ( Christians/evangelicals-etc..) want to either convert and save her or kill her... I hope that The Holy Spirit can use my Post over there to "plant a seed".

Okay--- Well It was Atlas that started this Thread with a good question. BUT, he then went on to give us his opinion... (kinda like watching most of the big News Networks here in the States.)...That was my thought. The two posts above by Steven Avery have some good information in them, and he even has the integrity to mention that there are/were other Bibles. That is good Discussion.

I'm not against "Atlas" either,,,matter of fact I think I gave him an "Amen" and a smiley face a while back for one of his previous posts.

To the Thread Question:--- Do we need Greek and Hebrew?

My answer is: Yes, Affirmative.

Why would I say that ? Several Reasons. The gents who were at Cambridge and Oxford who were appointed to the Translation work in 1604 consulted Greek and Hebrew and Latin and I think they also consulted other languages. {Both Dr. John Gill and Dr. Adam Clarke in their Commentaries on the whole Bible often site/quote verses in the Syriac/Arabic and others to help explain things to the readers.}

Martin Luther (and the other Reformers ) used Greek and Hebrew, and translated Bibles into the native tongues of their people so that they could hear/read the Word of our God in their own tongue(s). They also used the Greek and Hebrew to confound and confuse and clobber the big-wigs of the Vatican...who limited themselves to the Latin.

If you were a Botanist or Biologist would you not consult Latin sources while doing your studies ? If you hire a man who says in the Telephone book that he does Carpentry, and when he gets to your house he only has a hammer or a saw...would you let him in the front door or say to yourself;--"This guy (bloke) ain't packin' a full toolbox!" ?..?

Bible Protector-- You are in Australia and I'm quite certain that you have two American exports which you don't need, and which we (U.S.) should never have sent Down Under: Mormons (LDS) and the J.W.'s of the WatchTower. Both of those groups use and print and OK for use the King James Version of the Bible. If anyone reading this has talked with a J.W. or a Mormon on your doorstep, you know they like to quote from certain verses.

If the average Joe or Jane Public tries to talk to them (or give them a gospel message with the A.V./K.J. they very often get tangled in knots both by the J.W.'s trying to use the Bible to prove that Jesus is a secondary God, and the Mormons who (using the same Bible as you and I use) will try and get you to believe that there are many Gods and The Father , The Son and The Holy Ghost are three (3) Gods. If a regular average person has some knowledge of certain Greek and Hebrew words they can at least put up a shield against the fiery darts.

I must get some sleep, so I'll end soon here. I don't like the many publishing house/groups that have to come out with a "New"/"Improved" Version each year, but I also find the screaming-meemies who stand near the door of a Christian book store and yell at customers entering that if they don't buy a King James version,,,then they will go to Hell.. That is just plain weird and makes us folks that use and prefer the A.V. a tad "kooky" in the eyes of the public...IMO.

I stand with the statement found at the front of some A.V./K.J. Bibles---called the "Translators to the Reader." They Translated and our God has preserved His word as it says on my signature on this post.