View Single Post
Old 07-19-2008, 06:48 PM

Hi Folks,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debau
Dude, If I could dig in the Scripture like you dig out info on the 'net, I'd be a "scholar".!!! I might even learn some Greek, or Geek perhaps! Good job Steven.
Thanks .. I think. .

There are a lot of problems in 'make disciples of all the nations' and kudos to those Lutheran folks for speaking up.

Incidentally the KJB margin note has to be before 1815, because by that time (yes, before the Revision) the note had been put in and some folks had started to follow the margin note rather than the text. And some saw the difficulties. Here is one from 1815, I am only taking out one paragraph, which begins in the context of a confession of faith with baptism. Notice also the connection mentioned between infant baptism and the early proponents of the translation corruption.

http://books.google.com/books?id=2awPAAAAIAAJ&pg=PA184
A Body of Divinity: Wherein the Doctrines of the Christian Religion are Explained and Defended Vol IV - Thomas Ridgeley - Notes by James P. Wilson (1815)

This is agreeable to the words of institution, in Matt 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them, and in Mark xvi. 15. Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creatures he that believeth and is baptized shall be saved. I am sensible that some, who have defended infant-baptism, or rather attempted to answer an objection taken from this, and such like scriptures against it, have endeavoured to prove the Greek word signifies, make persons disciples; and accordingly it is a metaphor taken from the practice of a person's being put under the care of one who qualified to instruct him, whose disciple he is said to be, in order to his being taught by him ; and therefore they suppose, that we are made disciples by baptism, and afterwards to be taught to observe all things whatsoever Christ hath commanded; and this is taken notice of in the marginal reading of our Bibles ; which supposes that the word may be rendered, make disciples of all nations : But, I cannot think this sense of the word so defensible, or agreeable to the design of our Saviour, as that of our translation, viz. Go teach all nations ; which agrees with the words of the other evangelist, Go preach the gospel to every creature :

Shalom,
Steven