View Single Post
Old 12-17-2008, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB1789 View Post
Traditional Anglican:--- I'd expect this post from one of the many arminians on this site but... you as a Reformed Episcopalian ARE a Calvinist!

Open up the The Book of Common Prayer and read the Articles of Religion.
Not the Bible?

Quote:
Almighty God chooses us--- We don't choose Him. {see Jacab and Esau}
Why do you use Jacob and Esau as examples of election?

Rom 9:12 It was said unto her, The elder shall serve the younger.
Rom 9:13 As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated.

First of all, Esau HAD the birthright - it was His possession. He lost it. He sold it. And he couldn't get it back. So if this is election - then it would seem one can lose it. The verses in Hebrews say he could have inherited the blessing, but because he sold his birthright, he did not. What this has to do with unconditional election, I know not.

Heb 12:16 Lest there be any fornicator, or profane person, as Esau, who for one morsel of meat sold his birthright.
Heb 12:17 For ye know how that afterward, when he would have inherited the blessing, he was rejected: for he found no place of repentance, though he sought it carefully with tears.

Secondly, God gave a prophecy to Rebekah in Genesis 25:23. The seperation is from her bowels (or womb), not from eternity past. The promise was "the elder shall serve the younger", not "the elder shall go to hell and the younger to heaven".

Thirdly, Hebrews 11 says that Esau WAS blessed concerning things to come (though I know not what this blessing was).