View Single Post
Old 07-26-2009, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biblestudent View Post
Hi, greenbear! I would disagree with the idea that for a pastor to work a secular job (if that's what you meant) rather than be fully supported by the church is the ideal situation.

The "ideal" is for preachers to be supported by the church where they labor. The Lord ordained it to be so (1 Cor. 9:14). God's servants have power to forbear working (1 Cor. 9:2ff), but they have the option not to use that power.

"Tentmaking" is necessary in special occasions.

Now, if the "ideal" would be a stumblingblock to carnal Christians, I'd rather "make tents" than make my glorying void.
Hi, Biblestudent.

Of course you are absolutely correct. I'll add:

1 Timothy 5:18 For the scripture saith, Thou shalt not muzzle the ox that treadeth out the corn. And, The labourer is worthy of his reward.

As you may have gathered, I am of the belief that the "Christian" churches are apostatized to a great degree. I believe that when a church gets to be a certain size, they have a large property with the incumbent expenses, they are beholden to a church board for their salary, etc. so "pastor(s)" can be swayed by interests within the church who want to control what is preached and taught. On a large denominational basis this problem is amplified. We are not in the same circumstance as was the early church in Paul's time. Denomination after denomination has fallen into apostasy. This is a personal conviction and I understand not everyone would hold this view. It is by no means wrong for a church body to pay the salaries of the elders. I just think there are certain benefits to having lay elders. If that makes me a carnal christian, so be it! Of course, christians aren't going to reorganize their church structures to suit me. Your english is so perfect I have assumed you must be an American missionary pastoring a church in the Philippines. I pray that God blesses your ministry.

Last edited by greenbear; 07-26-2009 at 11:54 PM.