Thread: Help Me
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2008, 05:55 AM

Default Johannine Comma -Cambridge Paragraph & Octapla

Hi Folks,

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibleprotector
Zondervan did not always publish the Scrivener edition, and may only be reproducing it in some of its KJBs.
Last night, in Johannine Comma research, I ran into this interesting note on the net.

http://members.aol.com/kjvisbest/sources.htm
An Essay on Sources How to Find Materials for Comparative Study of the KJV and Earlier Versions by T.L. Hubeart Jr.

in at least one significant passage the 1873 version has been altered (see 1 John 5:7, where Weigle's Octapla shows Scrivener throwing the "Johannine Comma" into italics, while the Zondervan volumes put it back into regular type!).

We do have on the net the 1884 re-printing of the 1873 work:

The Authorized Edition of the English Bible (1611): Its Subsequent Reprints and Modern Representatives - F. H. A. Scrivener

However, the actual Cambridge Paragraph Bible, with Scrivener as editor, is not on the Net, nor the Octapla, so I cannot easily check if this mangling by italics was done, and if so was it Scrivener and Weigle, or only Weigle. Anybody who can check, much appreciated.

I do have a Scrivener-based Zondervan edition 'KJV Study Bible' where the Johannine Comma text size and font is fine.

Shalom,
Steven