View Single Post
Old 03-30-2008, 01:01 AM
Connie

Thanks for your two cents, Renee, and you know us women, now I have to answer with my two cents worth but I'll try to keep it from becoming more than that.

You and George are indeed blessed to have a marriage based in the word of God. Since I live alone, as I understand it, male headship means submitting to male leaders in appropriate positions over me in the church, and I suppose that also means accepting their judgment that the head covering is not for today when I'm in that kind of church (although my pastor told me I had to obey my conscience about this so I have to wear something on my head now).

I did read the passage over and over and as I read it Paul is not talking about marriage here or any kind of male-female relationship, but about how we are to appear in congregational worship. It's about how God wants His creation principle of male headship expressed in worship in the church assembly, in the sight of the witnessing angels, and that is by the man's keeping his head literally uncovered to honor Christ, and the woman literally covering hers, including covering her hair, to cover the glory of man and honor God's creation order. That also is apparently how the early church understood it.

(To George: In coming to this conclusion myself I'm in disagreement with a lot of well known evangelical preachers today, and liked the arguments of unknown writers and speakers more, so it's certainly not that I've been influenced by authorities. None of the well-known pastors and teachers believe Paul meant hair, however, or any of the older commentators like Matthew Henry or Jamieson Faussett and Brown or Calvin either.)