Thread: Repentance
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2008, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth View Post
and please tell me the meaning of Luke 13:3

In looking at the context of Luke ch 13, it is repentance of sin and particularly of the disbelief of the Messiah.

Alright Beth, you continue to bring up this passage as it is the premier passage used to preach "repent of your sins or perish in hell."

Allow me to remind you of my statement in the start of this thread:

"I have also found that the "proof texts" for the position held by so many are easily refuted by careful reading of the actual text."

Read carefully the first five verses of the chapter and notice that the "change of mind" Christ is calling for is not turning from their sins to be saved, but rather turn from supposing (v.2) and thinking (v.4) that it's only the bad sinners (the ones that received judgment) that are guilty. Christ's remarks are saying, "You're not ok either, we're all 'bad sinners' in God's eyes." Christ was transitioning them from the OT works salvation (bad perish, good live; see Ezek.18,33) to believing on Him, the only One without sin. The repentance is from their viewpoint (a change of mind) rather than their individual sins.

Rather than reading the passage as "Except ye repent (of YOUR sins), ye shall all likewise perish," try seeing that the Lord was teaching them that God's judgment is not just for the "sinners above all men," and that that way of thinking must be repented of.