View Single Post
Old 05-05-2008, 01:00 PM
jerry

Can of worms or not, let's deal with what the Bible actually says. God is the one who brought Israel down into Egypt, knowing they would be made slaves. He freed them because of their oppression. He stated that the nation of Israel could make slaves of the nations they were conquering (except for the Canaanites), and the Gibeonites are an example of that (though they lied as to how far away they were from). God is the one who directly brought the Assyrian and Babylonian captivities on the nation of Israel. Yes, He also judged those nations for what they did wrong in their treatment of Israel - but the Bible nowhere teaches that the slavery in itself was wrong.

Genesis is pretty clear that God is the one who brought slavery on Ham's descendants, due to Ham's and Canaan's sin.

Genesis 9:24-27 And Noah awoke from his wine, and knew what his younger son had done unto him. And he said, Cursed be Canaan; a servant of servants shall he be unto his brethren. And he said, Blessed be the LORD God of Shem; and Canaan shall be his servant. God shall enlarge Japheth, and he shall dwell in the tents of Shem; and Canaan shall be his servant.

This is what the New Testament says about Christian slaves and masters - it is not speaking against slavery, but against misuse of slaves (oppression), and against mistreatment of their masters.

Ephesians 6:5-9 Servants, be obedient to them that are your masters according to the flesh, with fear and trembling, in singleness of your heart, as unto Christ; Not with eyeservice, as menpleasers; but as the servants of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart; With good will doing service, as to the Lord, and not to men: Knowing that whatsoever good thing any man doeth, the same shall he receive of the Lord, whether he be bond or free. And, ye masters, do the same things unto them, forbearing threatening: knowing that your Master also is in heaven; neither is there respect of persons with him.

And before I get accused on anything, I am not for slavery - but I want to make sure any discussion we have is based on a Biblical view of the issue, not some politically correct view or social gospel view. I am glad that in most cases slavery is abolished, though we know there are places in the world where it still happens, and Revelation refers to slavery yet to come by the endtime Babylonian government and religion.

Revelation 18:10-13 Standing afar off for the fear of her torment, saying, Alas, alas, that great city Babylon, that mighty city! for in one hour is thy judgment come. And the merchants of the earth shall weep and mourn over her; for no man buyeth their merchandise any more: The merchandise of gold, and silver, and precious stones, and of pearls, and fine linen, and purple, and silk, and scarlet, and all thyine wood, and all manner vessels of ivory, and all manner vessels of most precious wood, and of brass, and iron, and marble, And cinnamon, and odours, and ointments, and frankincense, and wine, and oil, and fine flour, and wheat, and beasts, and sheep, and horses, and chariots, and slaves, and souls of men.