View Single Post
Old 02-18-2008, 09:46 PM
Scaramouche

Jerry,
With all due respect, you have stated something and negated it at once.

"I see from Scripture that as a Christian I am not to take personal vengeance against my enemies - but I do not see where I am not to fight my countries enemies..."

How can you agree not to take vengeance (personal or otherwise) and yet hold to the view that it is ok as long as your country deems it so.
Obviously, our country is not the final authority in matters relating to our faith so how can we justify killing our neighbors after we're told to love them and bless them and even provide for them as in the case of the Good Samaritain.

We are to give them a glass of cold water, give them our cloaks and tunics, walk the extra mile(s) with/for them and ultimately love them as Jesus would because it's Him we represet on this planet.
How then can you say "Yeah, but if my country told me to kill them, it would be ok and God would understand and aprove"?
Can we agree that this arguement is self defeating?

Look, I didn't come here to be argumentative. Actually, this post wasn't originally mine, it's just that the originator has not written again and the topic fell on me because of my views. I also don't want to be controversial for it's own sake.
I honestly believe the Church of our Lord has dropped the ball on this one and we'll be held accountable for calling fire down on our "enemies" when we should've been a light to them showing them the way to the Cross.

"Say unto them, As I live, saith the Lord GOD, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked; but that the wicked turn from his way and live..."
Ezekiel 33:11