View Single Post
Old 03-29-2008, 02:29 PM
Connie

I've been avoiding getting into this discussion, and maybe I should think better of it at this point as well, but here I am diving in. I don't want to get too much into the particulars though, just make a general statement.

I am a Calvinist and remain a Calvinist through all this discussion, but I appreciate the Arminian position too, I just don't think it has the solid scriptural foundation the Calvinist position does. There is scripture on both sides of this argument and that being the case I think we have to say that in a sense both sides of it are true. Scripture for instance says both that God hardened Pharoah's heart and that Pharoah hardened his own heart. Both are true. Scripture says God predestined us to salvation (yes I think it's biased hairsplitting to claim that's not what is meant) but scripture also exhorts us to believe time and time again. Even a Calvinist who believes in the absolute sovereignty of God also believes that we are responsible for our own choices and actions and will be judged on them in the end. We also believe in evangelism and pleading with people to come to the Lord for salvation -- because believing in God's absolute sovereignty does not give us permission to be passive about these things -- scripture also exhorts us to action. We are not in a position to know God's decrees, who He plans to save and who not; therefore we give the gospel to all and we pray for our unsaved loved ones.

The Arminian position seems to be that it would be unfair of God to predestine or foreordain the outcome of all things and yet hold us responsible for our actions at the same time, but isn't this what scripture teaches? Is it unfair of God to harden Pharoah's heart and yet hold him responsible for his hardened heart too? The problem comes from thinking too hard about these things. Scripture says both but you'll give yourself a mental charleyhorse if you try to figure it all out. It's like the Trinity. We can't understand it but we know scripture teaches it. Believe it and leave it to God to sort out.

How can God foresee something without also foreordaining or predestining it? Are you saying that God has all knowledge but not all power? What kind of God wouldn't have all power? What kind of "election" is it that only elects those who have already chosen from their own free will? Kind of takes all the stuffing out of the word. Do any of you think you had the ability in yourselves to choose Christ? Should I say Oh God knew at the foundation of the world that I'd choose Christ because I'm so smart? That's a kind of works thinking. I don't think many Arminians really think they chose Christ because they were so smart in themselves, I think they believe God had to give them the understanding and faith in order to do so. Much of what has been said here shows they know that God saved them, they didn't save themselves, and that if God doesn't sustain them they won't be able to persevere to the end. They recognize their own weakness and their need of God for all of their Christian life. This is really all Calvinism is saying.