Thread: Death
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2008, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toiwnz View Post
What scriptures show that dead people are in the middle of the earth?
The main verses we get this teaching from concern the soul of our Lord Jesus Christ descending into the underworld after His death on the cross, but I do believe the saints from the Old Testament knew about this in their day.

Comparing the scriptures that follow, we learn that Jonah went to hell and that hell is situated in the middle (heart) of the earth:

Matthew 12:40 For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

Jonah 2:2 And said, I cried by reason of mine affliction unto the LORD, and he heard me; out of the belly of hell cried I, and thou heardest my voice.
Jonah 2:6 I went down to the bottoms of the mountains; the earth with her bars was about me for ever: yet hast thou brought up my life from corruption, O LORD my God.

Acts 2:27 Because thou wilt not leave my soul in hell, neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.
Acts 2:31 He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption.

This next verse speaks of Christ first descending into the lower parts of the earth and then ascending and leading "captivity captive":

Ephesians 4:8 Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men. 9 (Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth? 10 He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things.)

It is generally believed the "captives" that Christ lead up were the souls of those Old Testament saints who died and went down into the underworld to a place of rest so named Abraham's bosom (again, situated in the middle of the earth in proximity to hell, but both places separated by a great gulf or space), and there waited for Christ to die and come and take them out. This we learn from several of the gospel accounts:

Luke 16:22 And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried; 23 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom. 24 And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.

Matthew 27:51 And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent; 52 And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose, 53 And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many.

There are also multiple scriptures throughout the Bible which speak of damned souls (people) going to hell, which, as I have just shown, is situated in the middle of the earth. See Psalms 9:17; Psalms 55:15; Proverbs 23:14; Isaiah 5:14; Ezekiel 32:26-27; Matthew 11:20-24; Revelation 20:13.

Isaiah 14:9 Hell from beneath is moved for thee to meet thee at thy coming: it stirreth up the dead for thee, even all the chief ones of the earth; it hath raised up from their thrones all the kings of the nations.

Last edited by Kiwi Christian; 11-13-2008 at 12:32 AM.