View Single Post
Old 07-02-2008, 12:04 PM
Forum Administrator

As for old commentators: Having read many of them on many topics, I believe it's reasonable to assume that most of them would be utterly appalled at the modern state of things, which has given us 200+ English translations, with some truly Satanic ones like the TNIV and "The Message."

A broad view of the history of Textual Criticism shows that the debates were over issues like whether or not the book of Daniel even belonged in the Bible (since the book of Daniel contains predictions that nobody can deny came to pass, many critics used that as an excuse to question its authenticity!). Good preachers were unanimous in their defense of Daniel and Revelation as genuine Scripture. It seems to me that once this matter "lost steam" the critics moved on to a more nuanced approach to attacking the Bible, like Wescott and Hort did by getting their corrupt text into the revision committee. Burgon saw this for the corruption that it was, but the full extent of their unbelieving scholarship on Christian scholarship wasn't really revealed until much later. Christ's body has suffered greatly due to these subtle attacks on God's word.

I await the Lord's return. I do not look to the Church or any group of men to reverse these tides. God will have his remnant, and many of us grow stronger in God's word despite the majority of Christian scholarship that seeks to erase it from the face of the earth. As far as I am concerned, history shows me that the KJV is final and is "it" until Christ returns.