View Single Post
Old 06-09-2009, 10:10 PM

I'm still studying dispensationalism, reading three books (after I have done my scripture reading), and havn't come across expositions for rightly dividing 1st John ch 1 yet.
I generally understand that a hyper will usually lump Heb-Rev as non-Church Age entirely. Honest dispensationalist will have to admit that there are sections in Hebrews, James, I John and others that should be applied as Church-Age.

My question to Tony is, how do you prove that 1st John chapter 1 does not apply to the church today?
I understand your logic in stating that ALL past and future sins are forgiven entirely at Church-Age saving regeneration, and I agree with that. I also agree that in other dispensations, confession is part of salvation, however not in the Church-Age.
I also understand that we are not confessing continually to get more saved, or maintain salvation either. What most of us here seem to be saying is that confession is something that should be ongoing in the believer's walk after salvation, for spiritual growth.

Another question for Tony (take your time): In your personal walk with God, when you sin, even habitually, how do you approach God with it? Knowing that the sin is not imputed on your account (Ps 32:2, Rm 4:8, Rm 5:13), is there any point whatsoever in even talking to him about it?
And if you do talk to him about it, perhaps asking for help to battle it, doesn't merely acknowledging it to God constitute a confession?

One more thought:
1Jn 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

A Church-Age believer understands that all their sins have already been forgiven, yet there are numerous doctrinally Church-Age admonitions to refrain from sin. Also that "grieve not the Holy Spirit" from Ephesians 4:30 indicates there is a consequence to our sin, even though its not imputed unto us eternally.
Perhaps 1Jn 1:9 is an affirmation to the born-again believer of the promise of God towards His forgiveness. I personally know that that verse encourages me to bring my recent sins to Him in prayer. Rather than wallow in guilt, the conviction of sin drives me TO God in prayer, rather than FROM him in shame. Each time I confess and ask for help with it, then employ His help in turning from the sin which convicts me, I draw closer and stronger in my walk with him.

I hope this post made some sense, and is understood to be sincere.