View Single Post
Old 06-14-2009, 06:05 PM

Bro George

We will have to agree to disagree. I do see that Jesus told some Jews of his death, burial and resurrection.

John 3:13 And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven.
14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: 15 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.
16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.
20 For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.
21 But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.

Nicodemus may not have understood what Jesus meant by being "lifted up", but Jesus was speaking of going to the cross. And John 3:16 is absolutely the same gospel we Gentiles are saved by. God "gave" his son. That is the death burial and resurrection right there.

John 12:32 And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me.
33 This he said, signifying what death he should die.
34 The people answered him, We have heard out of the law that Christ abideth for ever: and how sayest thou, The Son of man must be lifted up? who is this Son of man?

John 8:28 Then said Jesus unto them, When ye have lifted up the Son of man, then shall ye know that I am he, and that I do nothing of myself; but as my Father hath taught me, I speak these things.

These verses are to show that Jesus did tell the people of his crucifixion, although I am sure they did not really understand these sayings. But that is not the point. Jesus was clearly teaching the Jews to believe on him for everlasting life throughout the four gospels.

As far as signs, they ceased. But the early believers did speak in tongues and other gifts, including some Gentiles.

1 Cor 13:8 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.

As for the "gospel of the kingdom", let's examine a verse.

Matt 24:14 And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.

If this gospel of the kingdom means the restoration of the kingdom of Israel, is this what preachers and pastors in churches across the world should be preaching on Sunday morning? Should we preach every Sunday that the Jews should repent of killing Jesus so that the kingdom would be restored?

That makes no sense whatsoever.

No, it is the gospel that Jesus is the Son of God, who came and died for our sins on the cross, was buried, and rose from the dead. This is the gospel that is to be preached to all nations till the end.

In Romans 2 Paul explains that the Jews and Gentiles are saved in the same way.

Rom 2:22 Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference:

And Acts clearly shows that Peter was preaching the gospel of believeing on Jesus for everlasting life in early Acts, not the restoration of the kingdom.

Acts 11:15 And as I began to speak, the Holy Ghost fell on them, as on us at the beginning. 16 Then remembered I the word of the Lord, how that he said, John indeed baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost.
17 Forasmuch then as God gave them the like gift as he did unto us, who believed on the Lord Jesus Christ; what was I, that I could withstand God?
18 When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life.

Here you see Peter telling the apostles and disciples in Jerusalem that the Gentiles received the Holy Ghost just as they had on the day of Pentacost who believed on the Lord Jesus Christ. And then the disciples said, then hath God ALSO to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life.

That is so very clear and easy to understand.

There is no mention of repenting of killing Jesus here. But it is mentioned that the apostles and disciples on Pentacost believed on the Lord Jesus Christ. And verse 18 shows that the message was "repentance unto life". That is speaking of receiving everlasting life (John 3:16), not the restoration of the kingdom.

Bro George, I respect you, but I am in total disagreement with you on this teaching. I see not one single verse in Acts where the apostles preached the restoration of the kingdom if the Jews repented of killing Jesus. But I clearly see the preaching of believeing on Jesus for the forgiveness of sins and receiving everlasting life.

We will have to agree to disagree.

Last edited by Winman; 06-14-2009 at 06:14 PM.