View Single Post
Old 08-28-2008, 09:13 AM

Default Does scripture matter in salvation?

I often struggle with this topic and ask myself if God can work through a translation that is not the inspired word of God. John 5:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.
We see the first step for salvation is the word. Who’s word? God’s word.
Acts 19:2-6 He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost. And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's baptism. Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus. When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied. ...
Could it be that there are people who hear the wrong interpretation of scripture and be saved. Not here they have to hear correct scripture to have faith granted unto them. In order for an individual to be saved he must have faith. We learn from scripture that faith in God is not a natural thing for us.
2 Thessalonians 3:2 And that we may be delivered from unreasonable and wicked men: for all men have not faith.
How do we receive faith?
Romans 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
Is it the word of God being presented? Without scripture the Holy Spirit will not grant us faith.
It is scripture that permits the Holy Spirit to work.
Luke 24:32 And they said one to another, Did not our heart burn within us, while he talked with us by the way, and while he opened to us the scriptures?
If it not scripture being used then I say it cannot be the Holy Spirit convicting. The words alone are not going to save anyone.
2 Corinthians 3:6 Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.
Romans 10:3-4 For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God. For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.