View Single Post
Old 05-24-2009, 04:21 PM
Ed Edwards

Greenbear: // Who do the scriptures name as the “morning star” and the “day star”? The King James Bible declares that Jesus is the "morning star" and the "day star". Many of the other translation declare in Isaiah 14:12 that Lucifer is the "morning star" and the "day star"//

I guess I missed something???

[quote=Greenbear apparently Isaiah 14:12]
New International Version

How you have fallen from heaven, O morning star, son of the dawn! You have been cast down to the earth, you who once laid low the nations!

New King James Version

How are you fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how are you cut down to the ground, which did weaken the nations!

Greenbear// The King James Bible declares that Jesus is the "morning star" and the "day star". //

Greenbear// Many of the other translation declare in Isaiah 14:12 that Lucifer is the "morning star" and the "day star" //

But the KJV Translators Margin note says the same thing? Are you saying the KJV is wrong? I think the KJV is RIGHT!

My nKJV says in the Comentary for Isaiah 14:12 at 'Lucifer' that:

// Verses 12-14 evidently refer to Satan who, as prince of this world system (Jn 12:31, 14,30, 1611, see Reve 13:9, note) is the real though unseen ruler of the successive world powers, Tyre, Babylon, Medo-Persia, Greece, Rome etc (cp Ezek 28?:112-14. Lucifer, "Day Star." can be none other than Satan. //

This commentary was the First revision of Schofield's work. So Schofield carefully defines Lucifer as the 'morning star' and the 'day star'.

Unfortunately, Schofield wrote no part of the Sacred Scriptures, God's Holy Bible, God's inerrant Word, God's written Words, etc.

However I have been in churches that all had the same Schofield version of the Bible - the preacher would say something like "Turn to page 809, Isaiah 14:12, I will read through verse 14. ... Now look at footnote h, it says (what is seen above).

(example is fictional, church is real, I got married in that church in Aug 1963 and stole their piano player away to mother my children. I gave that Schofield KJV to my Sister-in-law in 2000, my wife & her Sister having died in 1999.)

As a parting shot across the bow: Read the original KJV here it says:

Isa 14:12 (KJV1611 Edition, e-sword.com)
How art thou fallen from heauen, O Lucifer*, sonne of the morning? how art thou cut downe to the ground, which didst weaken the nations?

Sacred Interperter's Margin Note:
* or O day-starre

Yes, IMHO the interperters notes are inerrant, sacred, profound, help one understand scripture, and only the Ignorant (not knowing) should avoid reading the Translater's footnotes (not the commentary footnotes).

This Margine note says that one could also translate that Hebrew term into 'day-starre'. This means an alternative KJV reading is:

How art thou fallen from heauen, O day-starre, sonne of the morning? how art thou cut downe to the ground, which didst weaken the nations?

and the translator's footnote means that the scripture (inerrant, sacred, profound, and preserved for the English speaking people of 1611) is just as good read either way.

So IMHO,
Quote:
New International Version, God's inerrant, perfect, word/words preserved for the 1970s+ English reader:

How you have fallen from heaven, O morning star, son of the dawn! You have been cast down to the earth, you who once laid low the nations!
Is just as good as the KJV1611 Edition (God's inerrant, perfect, word/words preserved for the 17th century /1601-1700/)
And is just as good as the KJV1679 Edition (God's inerrant, perfect, word/words preserved for the 18th Century /1701-1800/).