View Single Post
Old 05-06-2009, 12:10 AM
Bro. Parrish

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
Part of Brother Parrish's quote from Post #92:
Aloha brother Parrish,

Please carefully re-read the Scriptures that you quoted. Paul is not saying that "John's was a baptism of preparation looking FORWARD to Jesus' death". Paul clearly said: "Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus." [Acts 19:4]
Well it's pretty obvious to me George, that Paul indicated John was pointing forward to Him which should come AFTER him, that is Christ Jesus. We'll have to agree to disagree, but thanks for your thoughts and I can respect your input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
While I believe that brother Tony is wrong about water Baptism not being for the New Testament believer (I know of NO commandment "PROHIBITING" the practice); I would not "break fellowship" with him unless - unless he became "obtuse" and/or overbearing on the subject.
Well I feel the same way George, as a careful review of my posts will show I have gone out of my way to avoid any disrespect for Tony on the personal level.

Let's ALL agree that the topic here is not really Tony, and it's not me either. It's believer's water baptism in today's churches—and since that has been positioned as being UNSCRIPTURAL and/or part of the MOSAIC LAW by most if not all Ultradispensationalists—that is what I am addressing.

And let's face it; the issue is not always only baptism, it should be noted that Ultradispensationalism can often come packaged with some other strange teachings. For example some of the adherents to Ultradispensationalism reject not only the ordinance of baptism with water but also the Lord’s Supper, proclaiming that the church of today is no longer to participate in ANY kind of ordinance. Some adherents of Ultradispensationalism also officially reject church attendance completely, such as Otis Q. Sellers in his pamphlet named "Christian Individualism." There are often many subtle folds to Bullingerism and its sister doctrines, and I am certainly NOT trying to project any or all of them onto ANY member of this forum, but I suspect that some of the new believers here are perhaps not aware of the complete history of this teaching, so I simply put it out there and let them decide for themselves. Others have had far more negative opinions on it over the years, as shown by the comments from Dr. Harry Ironside:

"Many Bullingerites boldly advocate the sleep of the soul between death and resurrection, the annihilation of the wicked, or, as we have seen, universal salvation of all men and demons, the denial of the eternal Sonship of the Lord Jesus Christ, and, gravest of all, the personality of the Holy Spirit. All of these evil doctrines find congenial soil in Bullingerism. Once men take up with this system there is no telling how far they will go, and what their final position will be in regard to the great fundamental truths of Christianity. It is because of this that one needs to be on his guard, for it is as true of systems as it is of teachers, "By their fruits ye shall know them."

Having had most intimate acquaintance with Bullingerism as taught by many for the last forty years, I have no hesitancy in saying that its fruits are evil. It has produced a tremendous crop of heresies throughout the length and breadth of this and other lands, it has divided Christians and wrecked churches and assemblies without number; it has lifted up its votaries in intellectual and spiritual pride to an appalling extent, so that they look with supreme contempt upon Christians who do not accept their peculiar views; and in most instances where it has been long tolerated, it has absolutely throttled Gospel effort at home and sown discord on missionary fields abroad. So true are these things of this system that I have no hesitancy in saying it is an absolutely Satanic perversion of the truth. Instead of rightly dividing the Word, I shall seek to show that these teachers wrongly divide the Word, and that their propaganda is anything but conducive to spirituality and enlightenment in divine things."
http://www.gotothebible.com/HTML/wrongly1.html

Last edited by Bro. Parrish; 05-06-2009 at 12:16 AM.