View Single Post
Old 03-08-2009, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKG View Post
I guess the thing that makes me scratch my head is that “spiritual death” is such a frequently used term yet no one really explains (maybe because they don’t know) exactly what it is.

Personally I never use the term “spiritual death” or “spiritually dead” anymore. The terms “spiritual death” or “spiritually dead” aren’t used in Scripture and no such occurrence is taught.
First, let me say that I am in total agreement that, from what I can see, the Bible does not teach man’s “spirit” is dead as a result of Adam's sin. I think it is understood that if man’s spirit is dead then he is not living and breathing. As living human beings we possess a body, soul, and spirit. Brother George has thoroughly made that very point with Scripture.

Please consider my humble explanation of why I have used the term "spiritual death". In your original question you asked about the term “spiritual” death.

Quote:
"Spiritual Death" is an often used term, but what is it?
There is a difference, in my opinion; in telling a lost sinner his “spirit” is dead versus showing him in Scripture he has no “spiritual” life because sin has separated him from God. That is how I, and I think many others, use the term “spiritual death”.

1Co 2:10 But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.
Who is the “us” in this verse? If you conclude it is the born again believer who has life (has been quickened) with Christ, then you must agree that our understanding is because we have the Holy Spirit. Our understanding as a believer is of a “spiritual” nature. I had no “spiritual” life apart from Christ, but now in Christ I have “spiritual” life because the Holy Spirit hath quickened me. God reveals truth to us by the Holy Spirit through the written word. Do you agree that a “lost” person does not have the Holy Spirit? Of course you do. From this Biblical truth, I have concluded that they (the lost person who does not have the Holy Spirit) are “SPIRITUALLY DEAD”.
1Co 2:11 For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.
Only the Spirit of God knows the things of God. Therefore, those who do not have the Holy Spirit LIVING in them do not know the things of God. If a person does not have the Holy Spirit living in them, they are "spiritually"...what?
1Co 2:12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.
Again, we who believe in the Lord Jesus Christ have received the Spirit of God. We are born again. We have life. And that life is of a “spiritual” nature. I already possessed physical life, now i have "spiritual" life. Would you agree with that? If I now have “spiritual” life in Christ, what did I have prior to receiving Him? What would you call it?
1Co 2:13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.
I’ve entered into a new life of “spiritual” understanding. Before, without Christ, I was completely void of any “spiritual” life. What term would you use to describe a person who is indwelt by the Holy Spirit? Is he “spiritually” alive? What was he before receiving “spiritual” life? I don’t know, could we say he was “spiritually” dead?
1Co 2:14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
Who is the “natural” man? Why is he “natural”? Is it because he does not have the Holy Spirit living in him?
1Co 2:15 But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man.
Who is the “spiritual” man? Why is he “spiritual”? Is it because the Spirit hath quicken him and the living Spirit of God is in him? What was he before he was quickened by the Holy Spirit? Dead? Physically or spiritually?

That’s how I’ve used and applied the term “spiritual death” when witnessing. If you do not use the term, that's fine. Brother Clint, I think we all agree that we should preach Christ and Him crucified.