View Single Post
Old 07-30-2009, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulB View Post
1 Cor.11:31 "For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged."

I don't see myself as a thing! I am a person!

No, but seriously!

Judging people is very necessary for their own good - if it is done from a pure heart with the intent of restoring someone.

Mt.7:1-5 "Judge not, that ye be not judged. For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again. And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye? Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye

Our Lord id obvioulsly telling people to "Judge correctly" rather than hypocritically - He is not warning to cease from judging, but doing so with a pure heart.

God bless

PaulB
Yep, the quoted scriptures from Matthew were said to the "multitude" and showed what the Scribes and Pharisees were doing, because they were so focused on outward appearances, that they weren't look at their own inward heart in judging. Their MOTIVATION for doing so was wrong (to point out the sins of others, so that they might appear to be "better")... and so was their ATTITUDE (self-righteousness).

Yes, judging ourselves - if we are honest within ourselves, we know our sins better than anyone. Judging others has a tendency to lead to hypocrisy because, face it, we are ALL sinners and we were in that same condition, that sinful state, where we could be led to sin in that same way. So, coming down hard on someone for their sins is not always advisable... but judging a RIGHTEOUS judgment IS always advisable.

Jassy