Thread: Hey! I'm new!
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2009, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by custer View Post
It IS illegal in most states to sell raw milk...because the USDA is SOOOO concerned about health!!! Here's the clincher - it is NOT illegal (most places) to GIVE it away, just to SELL it! That would, of course, make any THINKING person question the motives of the lawmakers, but, no, passive Americans just blindly trust...I should hush; obviously, this is a sore subject for me!!!

And maybe I'm biased, but I think a well-managed farm smells GOOD!!!
I agree with you. And the raw milk issue is just the tip of the iceberg. Things are getting scary. Time for family vegetable gardens and dragging out those canning jars.

http://www.groundreport.com/Arts_and...all-Farmers_52

Quote:
The first, HR 875 or The Food Safety Modernization Act, is an attempt by Congress to appoint an agri-business connected "Food Czar" over the enforcement of regulatory standards mainly directed toward America's small business farmers, placing complicated governmental hoops for small farmers to jump through that in its provisions basically strips them of their rights to farm their own land.

The penalties for non-compliance of this Food Safety Czar's edicts or any of the provisions of this Act can result in forfeiture of their lands and property.

One provision of this Act, the National Animal ID System, requires small farmers to immediately tag and identify all animals born on their farms with expensive identifying equipment within a mere 48 hours of birth. The penalty for non-compliance is a fine in the amount of $500,000, ten years imprisonment and/or forfeiture of their property.

Another provision requires small farmers to create easements on their lands for warrantless governmental inspection and entry at will. It would also eliminate allowance of "seed banking" by small farmers for future crops.

This bill was introduced by Rosa Deloro whose husband has Monsanto as a client, and who herself has received over $180,000 in agri-business donations. It is a blatant attempt by the large agri-businesses and Congress to seize control of our food supply, and force us to consume their products rather than those of less expensive and locally grown produce from small area farmers.

Michael Taylor, a former Monsanto employee, is lobbying now for a position in the Obama Administration as the Food Safety Czar in furtherance of the large agri-business communities agendas of total control of our food production and delivery.