View Single Post
Old 02-04-2009, 07:19 PM

Default LIBERATION THEOLOGY: our national religion?

I think it would be good to understand Liberation Theology since it will probably be a dominant influence in America for the next 4+ years. I have found some characteristics of this belief, but not a good definition. The following is what I found.
Liberation Theology (LT) considers sin as a result of oppression, not individual sin nature resulting from the sin in the Garden of Eden. It says that salvation comes through community to individuals. I think that this places community as a mediator between God and Man (1Tim 2:9) in place of Jesus.
LT says salvation is group deliverance from oppression, not individual reconciliation with God.
LT confuses a symptom with the cause. The following is a quote from Ron Rhodes: "The gap between rich and poor is not the cause of man's predicament, it is merely one symptom of it." Both rich and poor are sinners in need of salvation.
This heresy is not detectable by statements of faith, standard questions, creeds, confessions, etc. because of two strategies. By redefining scriptural words it is possible to agree with every statement and answer every question correctly while still holding an unscriptural belief. By using false interpretation methods (hermeneutics) with marxist categories and assumptions, the Bible can be used to teach false doctrine without changing the words.

Last edited by Bill; 02-04-2009 at 07:23 PM. Reason: was going to change heading to say - our new national religion?