View Single Post
Old 03-30-2009, 05:15 AM

Default Cultivating the Fear of God

2 Corinthians 7:1 Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.

What is the fear of God? Is it a dreadful fear of destruction or just a form of respect. It would seem that both those ideas are to the extremes and both are correct in a sense. Many Christians have not the fear of God mainly because we in our generation have never seen the power of God in a way that is reflected in the Old Testament on behalf of Israel.

Of course we have no need to fear the wrath of God for His wrath was poured out on Christ for all and attributed to those who have believed on him for salvation. But fear of God is still needed if one is to live holy and to sin less in life as we see from 2Corinthians 7:1.

How do we cultivate a healthy fear of God?

One must see God through his word

Daniel 9:4 And I prayed unto the LORD my God, and made my confession, and said, O Lord, the great and dreadful God, keeping the covenant and mercy to them that love him, and to them that keep his commandments;

Daniel had the fear of God is his life and he cultivated it daily. In his prayer he calls God the great and dreadful God. This is a perfect picture of the fear of God. Daniel has showed this fear since the first chapter when he stated that he did not want to defile himself with the Kings meat and wine.

Also the Psalmist seen god in a way that established a healthy fear of God

Ps 66:3 Say unto God, How terrible art thou in thy works!

Ps 65:5 By terrible things in righteousness wilt thou answer us, O God of our salvation; who art the confidence of all the ends of the earth, and of them that are afar off upon the sea:

a few verses that might help us to cultivate this fear are

Genesis 28:17 And he was afraid, and said, How dreadful is this place! here Jacob became fearful of God because of a dream

Ex 34:10 ¶ And he said, Behold, I make a covenant: before all thy people I will do marvels, such as have not been done in all the earth, nor in any nation: and all the people among which thou [art] shall see the work of the LORD: for it [is] a terrible thing that I will do with thee. God will do mighty works through his children that should put fear into our hearts knowing he did it and not us.

Deut 7:21 Thou shalt not be affrighted at them: for the LORD thy God is among you, a mighty God and terrible.

Deut 10:17 For the LORD your God is God of gods, and Lord of lords, a great God, a mighty, and a terrible, which regardeth not persons, nor taketh reward: - God has no respects of persons but he love the humble man and one of a contrite spirit

As a Pastor sometimes I have to confront someone with their sinfulness. I too am confronted of mine by God’s holy word via his Holy Spirit. But the one thing that helps them and I to make the right choices not to sin and be in a right relationship with God is to understand that if we will choose not to give in to our sin and to follow what God will is for us according to His Word. That God has a way to powerfully move on the behalf of his child to answer the prayers and desired of a our heart. Especially in those areas that a Christians is tempted to compromise his life in the world apart from Gods clear word and will.

We have a beautiful young women in her mid twenties, single, very pure, very godly, six months ago she got new job. Over time she began to dress differently and then got involved in a secular game that led to her being offered off for a date to the winner.

At first she didn’t tell us the whole story but God told us (for some of you who are not familiar with the word of knowledge gift for the church it is active today). Anyway, one night the unsaved man drove her home and I saw her with him. So I set up a meeting with her sister and her to talk about the incident and what God’s will was for her and this man. At the end of the meeting she agreed to call off the relationship because she would be unequally yoked with a non believer and outside the will of God.

A few weeks later it was discovered she still was seeing the man. I explained again that this was not God will for her. And that I understood this was the first time a man paid such endearing attention to her and any young woman who is normal desires this, a husband and a family, and all of which she wants.

I told her she was wrong in her way of going about it. But if she would accept the truth of God word and cut off the relationship with this man, and even consider how her job has hindered her walk with God and make a choice to quit and look for employment elsewhere.

I said, “tell God that you have decided to give your employment choice and the choice for the man in her life over to his control and to confess you got in your flesh and tried to meet these things on your own.”

I reminded her if you make the right choice to serve the Lord in your life for this, God will be able to move mountains to get her a good Christian man for her and gainful employment. Not because she was good, righteous or perfect. But because God would honor her choice to be right with him in this area of her life.

When we see what God wants in our life and know his will by the word of God and we step out in faith to do God’s will in our lives God is able to do terrible, mighty works for his children to bring about the best in our lives. When we decide to do the Biblically right thing and make the right Biblical choice it shows are full respect and fear of God. Not necessarily in the sight of men but before God. Just like Joseph, David and Daniel. We should say, “I fear God”. I know by personal experience that when I choose to have this reverential fear of God and allow him control God will move on my behalf.

Developing a healthy fear of God is essential for the child of God to see miracles and answered prayers in ones life. Fear of God is not a thing between you and others, though they may see it. It is a relationship between you and God. It is a heart issue that He honors in the life of his Children.