View Single Post
Old 06-02-2008, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diligent View Post
I very much doubt anybody knows this for sure. I wouldn't base any conclusion on whether or not English was the seventh language to have the Bible translated into.

The KJV is, however, a "seventh translation" of the Bible in English. The prior translations leading up to the KJV were given in the "Rules to be Observed in the Translation of the Bible" that the translators went by after they were commissioned to do their work.

1. Tyndale
2. Matthew
3. Coverdale
4. Great Bible
5. Geneva
6. Bishops

...7. Authorized Version

I'd ignore other so-called "7th lists" leading up the AV -- they don't all agree and fudge a few things to make it right, whereas the KJV translation rules clearly and openly said which previous English translations the KJV "derived" from. While there were other English translations, they were not part of the "purification process" at least according to the committee rules adopted for the AV translation.
Good Post Diligent! The list you posted reminded me of two english translations that were NOT mentioned---and for good reason. The Douay-Rheims version and the Wycliffe. Both of those came from the Latin Vulgate as their "roots" and it is amazing to read them and compare the N.I.V. done centuries later---but still missing (left out/chopped off) certain verses.... This is long before Tischendorf brought back his "found" text from a monastery in the Sinai.

May I add that Wycliffe was a good man that wanted to get the Written Word of God out to the common people. He translated from the Latin because that is what he had. He was so hated that 50 years after he was dead...the demons working for the Pope in Rome dug up his body and burned his bones, then scattered them in a river-- !

BTW---If someone wants to compare some english translations you can try Still Waters Revival Books in Canada and get a parallel with 6 translations in columns next to each other. Mine is in a storage locker right now, but I think they have Tyndale/Wycliffe/Douay-Rheims/A.V./ and two others.