View Single Post
Old 07-15-2009, 10:33 AM

Default Re: "Church Governance"

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbear View Post
Thank you, brother George! Please tell me this was already written or I will feel guilty for keeping you busy all day. May God bless you, sir. My husband and I will try out a church next month when I get Sundays off from work so the topic has been on my mind, not having been churchgoers previously.

In Christ,

Jennifer

Aloha sister Jennifer,

I did this study last year and finished it in June, 2008. I had attempted to do the study back in the 1970's and after struggling for a while - I gave it up. There were some things I just could not figure out. If we can not figure out a spiritual issue, we should just let it go - instead of forcing it into something we can understand {i.e. a system of biblical interpretation or theological formulations}, or looking to other men (the "commentators") for understanding.

Genuine spiritual discernment and understanding comes only from God [1 Corinthians 2:1-16]; and herein lays the main problem with modern day Fundamentalist Christianity. Rather than just study the word of God and look to God to give discernment and understanding (including waiting on God) - modern day Christians think that "Bible" Seminary, "Bible" College, "Bible" University, or "Bible" School will serve as a SUBSTITUTE for what only God can give. {Most of the "graduates" of these Schools have lots of Bible "knowledge", and very little genuine spiritual discernment, understanding, and wisdom.}

And most of those modern day Christians who do not "matriculate" at a "Bible" School or College, etc., will look to the "Bible" School graduates (the "commentators") for their discernment and understanding, rather than study the Holy word of God on their own (witness the constant reference to men here on the Forum). In other words, most modern day Christians are looking to and depending on MEN for their spiritual discernment and understanding, rather than God; with the tragic result that when it comes to spiritual issues they are unable to JUDGE a matter according to the Scriptures!

Now don't get me wrong - God calls men to preach and teach His word. And I studied (at home) under some of those men for about 20 years (1968-1988). I learned a lot about the Bible; the history of the various churches, the history of the Bible; etc.; but what I did not do was depend on these men for my spiritual discernment and understanding.

That is why I continually ask my fellow brothers and sisters in Christ not to just accept what I teach, but rather search the Scriptures to see if those things are so! {This is one of the reasons I cite whole verses of Scripture, rather than just the verse references.}

I'm pleased to hear that you and brother John are going to look for a church to attend; and I don't mean to discourage you from going to church (after all - the church of God is God's Institution), but be prepared for some disappointment.

I don't want to disappoint you, but the sad truth is, it is extremely difficult to find a genuine Bible believing church in the U.S.A. today. Most Fundamentalist churches in America today do not believe that the King James Bible is the Holy word of God (and will CORRECT it if given the opportunity); and many of the churches that do profess to believe in the King James Bible are run by authoritarian pastors who think their job is to replace the Lord Jesus Christ as the only HEAD of His church and replace the Holy Spirit when it comes to spiritual discernment and understanding.

Most genuine Bible believing churches will be small (in number of attendees) and not very "popular". {And of course we must keep in mind that NO church is going to be "PERFECT", since it will be made up of imperfect saved sinners}.

It is my sincere desire that you and brother John find a church, but if you can not, you might consider getting together with brothers and sisters (of like mind) and holding your own services in your home. {That's how the early churches started, and it may be the way that we will end up.} From what I have seen of brother John's Posts, I believe he would be "qualified" to teach the Scriptures, and one thing's for certain - he wouldn't be CORRECTING them!

Whatever you decide, I pray that you will always look to the Lord and His Holy word to guide you in your decision.

Psalms 33:4 For the word of the LORD is right; and all his works are done in truth.

Proverbs 3:5
Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.