Thread: The sons of God
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2009, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Greenbear used the Jude and 2 Peter passages which do not connect overtly to the Genesis 6 event. The "sin" of the angels is not defined in either passage. We do know that angels were involved in Satan's rebellion. I believe that this is what is being addressed in these passages. Additionally, would you not think that their "crime" would have been addressed at that time, at least a hint? God was angry at MEN!! (v3,5) WHY?!?!

NOTE: I saw later that some others have repeated these verses, zeroing in on "estate" and "habitation" as evidence. Angels joined with satan in his rebellion. Those phrases could just as easily fit that event.
BT,
I hope you're retired or you won't have time to try to hit all these balls out of the ballpark one after another! You are a one man team unless someone else joins you! You hit a few foul balls tonight, I see.

I'll only deal with your response to me at this time.

You said: "Greenbear used the Jude and 2 Peter passages which do not connect overtly to the Genesis 6 event. The "sin" of the angels is not defined in either passage. We do know that angels were involved in Satan's rebellion. I believe that this is what is being addressed in these passages."

Scripture interprets scripture; you would have us believe that these verses do not deal with Genesis 6:1 but rather with Satan's rebellion. I can show you why they don't deal with Satan's rebellion.

If Jude 1:6 and 2 Pe 2:4-5 did deal with angels who were involved with Satan's rebellion then there would be no fallen angels that remain free.
Jude 1:6" And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day."
2 Pe 2:4 For if God spared not the angels that sinned, but cast them down to hell, and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved unto judgment; 2:5 And spared not the old world, but saved Noah the eighth person, a preacher of righteousness, bringing in the flood upon the world of the ungodly;

But there are fallen angels that remain free.
Ps 78:49 He cast upon them the fierceness of his anger, wrath, and indignation, and trouble, by sending evil angels among them.

Additionally, 2 Pe 2:5 is separated from 2:4 with a semi-colon showing the two parts of the sentence are related. Please note that 2:5 references noah and the judgement of the flood upon the world of the ungodly. This very helpfully establishes the identity of the angels that sinned. They are the one and the same Son's of God from Gen 6. Jude 1:6 is a parallel passage to 2 Pe 2:4. Both verses relate specifically and exclusivelly to the Sons of God in Gen 6.

If you still maintain that these verses don't deal with Gen 6 please explain what you do believe they refer to. It clearly cannot be Satan's rebellion.
You said: "Additionally, would you not think that their "crime" would have been addressed at that time, at least a hint? God was angry at MEN!! (v3,5) WHY?!?!"

Are you saying that because those verses don't spell out how the angels sinned you won't believe the angels sin was mating with human women but you will believe the sin was Satan's rebellion (which I have already proven can't be true)?
So what you are saying is that because the verses don't specify the sin, you feel free to throw out a possible answer you don't like and you try to force an impossible answer to fit the verses. We've already established that 2 Pe 2:5 ties these verses to Gen 6 to Noah's day and the Flood. Yes, God was grieved at man in Gen 6. What does that have to do with the identity of the Son's of God in Gen 6? Are you saying that because God was grieved at man that proves the Son's of God were men? That's very weak, IMHO. I think it is easier just to believe what the scriptures say.

GB

Last edited by greenbear; 06-02-2009 at 08:42 PM.