Thread: Worship Music.
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2009, 03:45 PM

Hey Brother

If I may add my thoughts, bearing in mind these things are NOT doctrine nor are they something which Christians should lose fellowship over.
I am the same age as yourself, well a couple of years younger at 35. In my former conversation with the world I was heavily into "trance" music, 140bpm pounding beats and melodic riffs, the music enslaves through the tribal beats and seducing rhythms, it complimented the use of narcotics in much the same way that "rock" music does, its all in the beat.
Trance music, rock music, in fact any kind of beat driven music, rap, hip-hop
(you get the picture) uses the beat to catch and snare the "attention" of the listener, complimented with the melody they elevate the listeners perception, in fact its a lot more dangerous than that, when used in connection with drugs leads to an experience that is truly devilish and deceptive and as far from Godliness as possible.
Music that causes an "emotional" response through beats and melody is used more an more in the Charismatic / Pentecostal movement, (Eg Hillsong)
Their Music leaves the listener in an emotional "state" after listening that I find quite frightening (you tube some hillsong concerts to get the picture) its the same spirit that trance music evokes, its an emotional response that Charismatics will attest to being the same feeling as when they are "slain in the spirit" claiming it is Gods Glory "all over them"
This spirit is NOT of God, it is Kundalini (a brief description of what Kundalini is) Please understand my perspective on this is from someone who used to be enslaved by this "type" of Music under whatever guise it presented itself through, this is experience and not just here-say, I will follow this with scripture.

Kundalini is Occult plain and simple, it is new age witchcraft, without going into a lot of detail as I don't wish to give place to the occult, Kundalini is the uses of chakra's, mantras, yoga, spiritualism, beats and rhythms that shamen used to "elevate" themselves on spiritual plains (Necromancy, wizardry) all evil and straight from the pits of hell
In a book from a Kundlini disciple
Sri's Book--Kundalini, The Mother-Power
The author states

Quote:
Sri says, "Kundalini power can perform all kinds of miracles" (such as turning invisible and curing all kinds of diseases).
This spirit I believe is what is "present" in Charismatic Churches and the Holy Spirit of God within me is grieved when I see anything like that, its is straight from the devil himself.

The Bible forbids us to have any dealings with the occultic New-Age Movement.

Deuteronomy 18:10-12: "There shall not be found among you any one that maketh his son or his daughter to pass through the fire, or that useth divination, or an observer of times, or an enchanter, or a witch, Or a charmer, or a consulter with familiar spirits, or a wizard, or a necromancer. For all that do these things are an abomination unto the LORD..."

The emotional response from this "spirit" leaves people in the same state as I have witnessed people in after a rave event, and If you are reading this and involved in the Charismatic movement and you feel emotionally drained after going to "worship" or to "Church" ask yourself why, WHY would I feel like this, does the Lord Jesus Christ want me to feel emotionally drained after worshipping him? the answer is a resounding NO!

I am with you Brother on the Old time Blood bought Hymns, Fanny Crosby wrote some wonderful Christ Honouring Hymns.
Contempory Christian Music has spawned "Christian" rock (The term makes me shudder)
I have heard music from certain Christian rock groups that sounds no different from the world, been a part of a Church that promoted this music, beat driven loud rock music that drowns out the singings, yes it may be lyrics about Christ but is your heart fixed and focused on Christ when you are watching the young woman swaying her hips in the pew in front of you?
I doubt it ( of course this is an example, but it happens every Sunday in Churches around the world), entertainment rather than the Gospel, seductively swaying females gripped by the music, probably even unaware of the response the music promotes in them, and the effect their dancing may have on a struggling Brother (Christ is far from honoured here in such a case)

I may have rambled on a bit, but the bottom line is that Music, worship should in all cases Honour the Lord Jesus Christ and his Holy written word, if the Music your Church is promoting causes an emotional response that feels seducing, if it is based on "your feelings" rather than glorifying your Saviour then the chances are that God by his spirit is showing you that is is not right
Ecumenical Churches seem to have adopted the "Christian rock" genre as a means to bring folks to their Church to be entertained, a crowd pleaser, a numbers game, rather than drawing them to be saved by the hearing of the Gospel of Grace

1 Corinthians 10:19,20: "What say I then? that the idol is any thing, or that which is offered in sacrifice to idols is any thing? But I say, that the things which the Gentiles sacrifice, they sacrifice to devils, and not to God: and I would not that ye should have fellowship with devils."

Rock music in whatever form it takes is from the devil, you can dress up pounding beats, screeching Guitars, heavy bass with lyrics about Jesus all you want, at the end of the day is Christ being worshipped and honoured or are you being entertained?

Quote:
"Abstain from all appearance of evil" 1 Thessalonians 5:22
I for one love the old time Hymns having spent my Childhood in Gospel halls, I listen to Keith and Kristen Getty from time to time (They are from Northern Ireland) a little on the contemporary side but I feel that the lyrics honour the Lord, I am sure there are many more "artists" who honour the Lord with their music, but at the same time there are many who are claiming to "worship" The Lord Jesus Christ when in fact they are serving their own lusts and their own belly!

James 4:7: Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.

Finally let me finish with

Philippians 2:5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus

I do not believe that Jesus would "rock out" if he came back today as many of the Charismatics and "Christian Rock" bands would say, I believe he would rebuke it strongly knowing it is NOT of God.