View Single Post
Old 12-18-2008, 09:17 PM
Vendetta Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Here Am I View Post
I remember all that but the postage stamps...I think they were about 8 cents when I was growing up, in the 60s.

My dad had a Sunoco station, and wanted to offer S & H Green Stamps, but the Esso (!!!) station across the street already had them.
You're just a spring chicken, as are most of the peeps in here.

(Ha ha! Get it? Chicken? Peeps??? .... never mind ....)

I remember getting free drinking glasses, made of glass, in boxes of detergent: Duz detergent, to be precise.

I remember elevator operators. It was unthinkable to press the buttons yourself.

I remember when Cokes, in a machine, cost five cents. In beautiful glass bottles!

I remember the Green Stamps and gas wars too: when I was in high school, you'd have 25 cents per gallon at one station, and 23 cents across the street.

I remember a brand new Volkswagen Beetle costing less than a thousand dollars. Not much less, but, still....

I remember the daily newspaper costing a dime, 25 cents on Sunday.

When I started smoking, they were still selling Home Run cigarettes, although that wasn't my brand. I think Home Runs had a picture of Honus Wagner on the package.

I remember when people wore their best clothes when travelling by air: you'd very rarely see a passenger not wearing a coat and tie, or a nice dress. The kids, too. My Father was a pilot, and I wore little suits and ties when I was flying as a child! Flying was a big deal then. I will never forget the smell of the leather seats in those old DC-8s and DC-9s. What a wonderful smell!

When I was a very little boy, one of my Senators was a young man named Richard Nixon.

My high school graduating class had about a hundred students. I don't wish to be crude, but I'd seriously estimate that 95 of them, male and female, were virgins when they (we) graduated. And this was a public high school in a town of over 100,000 people.

And of course I remember the milkman, and the glass bottles of milk on the porch....

How incredibly boring this must be to the younger people here! I swore I'd never talk this way when I got older. But, just as "conscience doth make cowards of us all," the passing years turn us all into fogeys - - - even if incredibly cool and groovy fogeys, like myself.

When I was in high school (try to imagine this), the following "artists" were regularly seen in the "Top 40" at the same time (often in the Top Ten): Elvis, Johnny Cash, Frank Sinatra, Ray Charles, Tony Bennett, and the Beatles. I'm actually saying that Sinatra was still having Top Ten hits! Against the Beatles!

I'd like to keep regaling you kids with these stories, but it's time for my medication......

Last edited by Vendetta Ride; 12-18-2008 at 09:31 PM.