Thread: My Avatar
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2009, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Brother Tim admonished me for quoting only part of a portion of Scripture to make my point earlier in this thread. Yet authors of the NT text took OT Scriptures out of their immediate context to make relevant points. The ox treading the corn comes to mind.
Tandi, I must not let this point go by without instruction.

When a portion of the Scriptures is taken for use in point-making, that in itself is not wrong. It does become wrong when the portion by itself does not complete the thought, and becomes even a greater wrong when the apparent meaning of the message is altered.

The verse that you used was 1 Corinthians 2:9,
Quote:
But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.
Left on its own, the implication is that we cannot understand what awaits us in future eternity.

However, the next verse, verse 10,
Quote:
But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.
completes the thought, letting us know that in fact we can have a glimpse into the unknown future through spiritual eye sight provided us by the Holy Spirit.

I will give you another illustration: If one quotes just a portion of a verse (which has been known to happen) the truth can not only be hidden, but false teaching can be justified. Take Mark 16:16,
Quote:
He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
I have talked with Church of Christ members who quote only up to the semicolon and then try to prove by those words that baptism is necessary for salvation. I always ask them to show me the verse in their Bible, and then have them read "the rest of the story."

Now you end your post with a prediction:
Quote:
So now that I have said all of this, I expect that my words will be analyzed, dissected for error and heresy, and I will pay a penalty for speaking my mind.
I don't want you to think that I am analyzing or dissecting, nor most certainly am I demanding payment (though donations are always accepted [sorry] ). I am a pastor and teacher. I am compelled to point out a mistake in the use of a verse, or portion thereof, when I see it. The verse that you used is actually quite commonly misused in the same manner as you did.

I agree that we need to pay our respects to Geologist's beloved pet (and as I said at the beginning, I can sincerely sympathize, for I have been there more than once) and let this thread pass from the first page into oblivion.