View Single Post
Old 05-08-2008, 10:06 PM
look3467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
I often doubt my salvation based on past experiences. Pretty much everyone I care about knows about this so I have no problems sharing it, but after being saved 8 years ago (2000 I think), it was a very slow road for me. I was drinking until about 2003, and in 2003 I even became a fornicator (dropped drinking, another sin came in). That all stopped in the middle of 2004. I have only repented of this sin recently. (Don't get me wrong, I felt guilty the whole time I was in sin, but, I only felt a deep contrition lately, calling me to repent of the wickedness I was involved in as a Christian. I even asked Christ to be my Saviour again, in the event that I was not saved, but all through those years, I did believe that Jesus Christ was my sin bearer).

I try to bear in mind David, who was an adulterer & fornicator, and unrepentant of the fact for over a year until confronted with God's truth under Nathaniel. It took me several years to realize what damage I had done to my walk with God, and I began to pray earnestly that He would break me over it. And did He break me alright!

I have no idea when I got saved. I know my initial motivation was fear of hell. Maybe I only got saved after my recent repentance of sin. I don't believe a person must ""Repent of their sins" to be saved, but a backslidden Christian must repent of and forsake their sin to be restored to fellowship with God.
Your situation is not something new, for in my life time I have witnessed many such occurrences of which I felt sorry for those individuals.

Listen Luke, God gives us strength to ward off the temptations of the flesh if we so desire it.

He has conquered all those temptations in Jesus crucified for us. Meaning that we are not beholden-ed to any temptation given the choice not to for Jesus gives us the strength to overcome it.

That is a struggle we all have and without Christ, we are doomed to suffer.

God loves you and fully understands the predicament you are in, but you must make a serious attempt to "want" to please Him at the cost of your desires.

That "want" is defined as love to wards God, and not as fear to wards hell.

Fear is temporary here while you live, but love lives on passed this point of life.
Therefore, having assurance of your salvation based on your love for God, you grow in His strength to wards maturity of that of the stature of Christ.

You can then say,"what power is there that can prevent me from loving my God?"
None whatsoever!

Listen, one time again, when Jesus was invited into your heart, you and Jesus were as babes. Both your flesh and your spirit had to grow together as like children, experiencing the pitfalls of life, the guidance of our parents and the words of God in print.

You stubble and sometimes fall, but never are you not His child, for He is with you every step of the way until you have reached a stage of maturity of understanding, wisdom and knowledge.

Along the way, you will meet similar folks and you maybe of great help in their progress to wards that goal to.

Hope that helps?

Peace>>>AJ