View Single Post
Old 03-07-2009, 10:43 PM

For as the body without the spirit is dead, ……….. (James 2:26)
I guess the thing that makes me scratch my head is that “spiritual death” is such a frequently used term yet no one really explains (maybe because they don’t know) exactly what it is.

Does it mean the human spirit died? The following verses are in the OT, before men experience the new birth.
Genesis 41:8 And it came to pass in the morning that his spirit was troubled; and he sent and called for all the magicians of Egypt, and all the wise men thereof: and Pharaoh told them his dream; but there was none that could interpret them unto Pharaoh.
1 Kings 21:5 But Jezebel his wife came to him, and said unto him, Why is thy spirit so sad, that thou eatest no bread?
Job 7:11 Therefore I will not refrain my mouth; I will speak in the anguish of my spirit; I will complain in the bitterness of my soul
Job 21:4 As for me, is my complaint to man? and if it were so, why should not my spirit be troubled?
Job 32:8 But there is a spirit in man: and the inspiration of the Almighty giveth them understanding
Psalm 34:18 The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit
Psalm 51:10 Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.
Psalm 51:17 The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise
Proverbs 18:14 The spirit of a man will sustain his infirmity; but a wounded spirit who can bear?
Proverbs 20:27 The spirit of man is the candle of the LORD, searching all the inward parts of the belly.
Ecclesiastes 7:9 Be not hasty in thy spirit to be angry: for anger resteth in the bosom of fools.
Daniel 2:1 And in the second year of the reign of Nebuchadnezzar Nebuchadnezzar dreamed dreams, wherewith his spirit was troubled, and his sleep brake from him.
Daniel 7:15 I Daniel was grieved in my spirit in the midst of my body, and the visions of my head troubled me.
Zechariah 12:1 The burden of the word of the LORD for Israel, saith the LORD, which stretcheth forth the heavens, and layeth the foundation of the earth, and formeth the spirit of man within him
As previously stated Ephesians 2:1 and 5 say nothing about your spirit
And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins; (Ephesians 2:1)
Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved) (Ephesians 2:5)
Is “spiritual death” separation from God? Then why not just say “separated from God”.
But your iniquities have separated between you and your God, and your sins have hid his face from you, that he will not hear. (Isaiah 59:2)
And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. (Revelation 20:14)
If Revelation 20:14 is talking about the second death, then what is the first death? Obviously it must be death as we normally think of it; physical. If something as dramatic as the human spirit dying had occurred it would be pointed out somewhere in Scripture and then Revelation 20:14 would be talking about the third death.

I still maintain that the term “spiritual death” is rooted in Calvinistic theology. According to their theology because a person is spiritually dead they can’t believe the gospel unless they are first born again after which they then can believe. The problem is if a person is born spiritually dead with a “sin nature” how can they be held accountable for their sins? It doesn’t square with Scripture.

Personally I never use the term “spiritual death” or “spiritually dead” anymore. Now I know we use the word “rapture” which is not found in Scripture, but at least it is clearly taught (1 Corinthians 15 and 1 Thessalonians 4). The terms “spiritual death” or “spiritually dead” aren’t used in Scripture and no such occurrence is taught.

I guess the old saying is correct. If something is repeated often enough people will believe it is true.