View Single Post
Old 01-12-2009, 11:07 AM

Julianus,
Thanks for likening my style to George's! It was unintentional. I wrote what I had before I ever came on this forum except for the comment. I could only wish I had the ability to write as prolific and eloquent as George, but writing on a computer makes me dyslexic.
Perhaps this similar style is common to those who have the same presupposition of the Author of Scripture and His Words.

No the Apostles faith did not come from the Scriptures AS we come to faith in them, for they had not been completed yet. They did have an understanding of the OT Scripture, but they were not spiritually enlightened by them until Jesus the Living Word expounded them to them.

Luke 24:31 And their eyes were opened, and they knew him; and he vanished out of their sight.
32 And they said one to another, Did not our heart burn within us, while he talked with us by the way, and while he opened to us the scriptures?

Luke 24:45 Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures,

Before this, they had no understanding.

John 12:16 These things understood not his disciples at the first: but when Jesus was glorified, then remembered they that these things were written of him, and that they had done these things unto him.

The penmen (not Author) of Scripture knew they were recording God's words. They had seen, heard, and touched the Living Word.

1 John 1:1 That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked upon, and our hands have handled, of the Word of life;

Yet even having seen the Living Word transfigured, and all His miracles, they understood now that there was something to be magnified above all this!

2 Peter 1:17-21 For he received from God the Father honour and glory, when there came such a voice to him from the excellent glory, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.

18 And this voice which came from heaven we heard, when we were with him in the holy mount.

19 We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts:

20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.

21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

It seems your presuppostion of God's Words are disassociated from God's love. What does God say about love?

John 14:23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

1 John 2:5 But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.

The word "keep" is simply not to "obey", but to GUARD and keep watch. PROTECT.

God placed no little emphasis on His words.

Psalms 138:2 I will worship toward thy holy temple, and praise thy name for thy lovingkindness and for thy truth: for thou hast magnified thy word above all thy name.

Matthew 4:4 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

His children expect the same.
God's people understand the importance of His Words.

Job 23:12 Neither have I gone back from the commandment of his lips; I have esteemed the words of his mouth more than my necessary food.

Jeremiah 15:16 Thy words were found, and I did eat them; and thy word was unto me the joy and rejoicing of mine heart: for I am called by thy name, O LORD God of hosts.

1 Peter 2:2 As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby:

My pevious post just underscored the efficacy of His Words. They are soul saving Words. Read it again.

His Words point to the Object of my adoration, the Saviour.

John 6:68 Then Simon Peter answered him, Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life.

John 5:39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

You confuse compassion for love. Without God's Words, there is no love. There is no Saviour, salvation, or heaven.

God's love is expressed by His Words, maybe that's why he is called the Word of God...?

The Psalmist said of His Words;

Psalms 119:11 Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.

They are a JOY to those who embrace them.

Jeremiah 15:16 Thy words were found, and I did eat them; and thy word was unto me the joy and rejoicing of mine heart: for I am called by thy name, O LORD God of hosts.

You call it "puffed up head knowledge" to have these words in our heart, and to rely on and use them. You impugn and malign a brother and judge him wrongly without knowing him or his motives. You viciously associate him with the Pharisees who wanted to kill the woman caught in adultery!

You have no idea what Godly compassion is.

Psalms 126:6 He that goeth forth and weepeth, bearing precious seed, shall doubtless come again with rejoicing, bringing his sheaves with him.

The SEED is the Word of God!!

Luke 8:11 Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of God.

Wisdom is the fear of the Lord. Evangelism is not effectual by compassion apart from fear of the Lord and His Words.
The basis of God's love is His Words, how we repond to them, and manifest that "head knowledge" with effectual evangelism!

The fact is EVERYONE will be judged by their response to God's Words.

Romans 14:12 So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God.

John 12:48 He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day.

Those (Julianus, et al.) who are quick to judge others as without compassion because they embrace God's Word's ought to reflect on this.

Isaiah 8:20 To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.

Luke 9:26 For whosoever shall be ashamed of me and of my words, of him shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he shall come in his own glory, and in his Father's, and of the holy angels.

Matthew 22:29 Jesus answered and said unto them, Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God.