View Single Post
Old 01-12-2009, 05:29 AM
Julianus

Thanks George (& Debau – I’m still reading through your addendum & appraisal of George’s post)

… for expounding a mass of Scriptures, however – being able to recite/quote/print or cut/paste numerous Scriptures via the use of various search functions or e-swords (mind you, these sources were unavailable to early believers who depended on the ‘inspired Word’ just as much as today’s disciples) does NEITHER improve the standing NOR the authority of those who make use of many words – without having the Holy Spirit anoint them.

Your mode of answer in ‘list-form’ simply confirms that you might ‘spiritually’ not be as far removed from the Pharisees as you’d perhaps wished – or convinced yourself you are.

Of course God’s Word doesn’t depend on anyone’s response, to be true. And of course by His Word He created everything. And of course the Pharisees knew as much. But proclaiming ‘Words’, claiming promises by presuming Faith/Hope, is of as much use as when the ‘Seven sons of Sceva Acts 19:11-20’ tried to cast out Spirits, presuming 3rd hand authority.

The first disciples had the same books Jesus had, BUT their FAITH did not come from those. On the contrary, their faith was established by having been ‘touched, had a revelation, been called, personal knowledge = conviction) by this man who was the son of God. And even the learned, scripture quoting men of their times couldn’t take that away from them – not even under pain of death.

The man is to be pitied, whose sole claim to being on the ‘true way’, is to repeatedly quote passages and Scriptures from a book. It is equally as futile as when Mormons, Muslims and other misguided religious zealots repeatedly quote from their (un)holy books – something we Christians readily denounce as invalid arguments. Without the anointing from God, he is just a parrot – and ‘Rivers of Living Water’ do NOT quench the thirst of souls whom the Lord might call unto Himself, ready for repentance.

But ‘HOW’ does one really know? Until God speaks to a man’s heart, tugs on the strings of conscience, answers a seeking heart, opens to a knocking soul and lets an asking searcher receive – the individual doesn’t know which book or which God is the true one.

Of course God’s Words are not dead Scriptures (you really like to be a stickler, aren’t you ;-), and you might have put a little spin on what I wrote there . . . personally I feel that only a ‘learned & showy’ Pharisee would pretend not to have understood the context here . . .

Rather, the point so well confirmed by your reply, the simple quoting of Scriptures in itself is ‘dead’ > WITHOUT the anointing of the Holy Spirit. Of course, you say, you have anointing – who can doubt it? Many posts are ample proof of your ability to wield the sword. The Pharisees also, when they brought the adulteress to Jesus, didn’t lie when quoting the Scriptures/Law. However, their intent was to use the law to kill the woman, and trap or destroy Jesus. Jesus had compassion. He was the only one who could have cast the first stone. But he didn’t. Instead he confounded the ‘learned’ and ‘saved’ the life of the sinner. He came to save. He came to ‘touch our lives’.

I believe, in this case, following Scripture could be meaningful to you: Proverbs 18:13; He that answereth a matter before he heareth it, it is folly and shame unto him. And I believe you might have ‘assumed’ and mis-interpreted where my argument for ‘personal conviction’ possibly was headed. There was no ‘inkling’ or hint that ‘mine, or anyone’s, personal convictions’ are what saves me/anyone.

Dear George, am I (and other readers) to understand from your post/replies, that you have NOT been ‘touched’ by the Lord, and that your ‘spouting forth’ of Scriptures is solely based on your experience in reading & arguing a book? You base your lofty answers on the head-knowledge you’ve acquired (quote) in your 50 years of being saved? Like waving around some sort of magic wand and posturing for the best Scripturally defensible position?

If you have had some ‘real’ contact with our Lord Jesus, whom you profess, I must say that your posts reflect very little of the compassion, hope and tears which He shed & shared with us.

Souls (people) don’t care how much you know – they care how much you care!

And if you had some Holy Spirit touch in your life, something which made it possible for you to have hope, to believe that God is a personal God for YOU, then there was no need for you to write that long (dead) list of Scriptures which every sincere seeker can get himself from a Concordance or Digital Bible. Without compassion.

And if you haven’t had the personal touch or conviction in your own life – then you’re only a theoretician.

Puffed up by head knowledge, no good to anyone laying on the road side (in the world), waiting for a ‘neighbour’, waiting for a Samaritan to come along.

... and Debau, I fear your eagerness to applaud George and copy his style didn’t really do you any favours. But more to your post later.
Good night ;-)