View Single Post
Old 07-11-2009, 06:34 PM

We try and keep our doctrines in line with what Paul teaches. If Jesus, John the Baptist, James and Peter teaches something, doctrine, baptism. I Will find scriptures where Paul teaches the same thing, then I make it a doctrine for the church. If not then I might find it as an application but not a doctrines. Paul does not teach Baptism as an ordinance.

Roms 6:3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
5 For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:

Paul teaches Baptism is an act of Identification of the believer with Christ. Just as Christ was baptized in the identification of sinners. Who were taught by John the Baptist to repent and be baptized for the remissions of sins. Jesus Identified himself with sinners in Johns Baptism and Paul taught we are baptized in His likeness. the water baptism is just an outward show of identification.

Christ had no sins so why be baptized? Identification an outward show. it was all part of God the Father overall plan for him to be in the likeness of sinful man that he might fulfill the purpose of death for the forgiveness of sins for all men. John said to him it is you who should baptize me. and he is right the baptism for the remission of John;s sins. but Christ said to let it be

Matt 3:13 Then cometh Jesus from Galilee to Jordan unto John, to be baptized of him.
14 But John forbad him, saying, I have need to be baptized of thee, and comest thou to me?
15 And Jesus answering said unto him, Suffer it to be so now: for thus it becometh us to fulfil all righteousness. Then he suffered him.
16 And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him:
17 And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.

Seeing Christ took time to show his identification with man through water baptism we should too. and we need no ordinance for that. it is something each man must be convinced by the Holy Ghost to do and not by rule or regulation of ordinances to enforce this. for Baptism today is not an act of obedience unless you place them under a Kingdom Gospel instead of the Gospel of Grace.

Paul's teaching under the Gospel of grace has baptism as an identification not an ordinance to follow.