View Single Post
Old 06-06-2009, 01:29 PM

I agree with Forrest, the command for the Lord's Supper is to do this in "remembrance of me (Jesus)"

But you know, when we stop and really consider this, you can't help but be convicted of sin. Sometimes we forget as Christians what it was like before we were saved, how we were under the penalty of death, and rightfully so. And we forget the amazing love that God had for us even though we were ungodly sinners.

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

We've heard this verse so much that we have forgotten how wonderful it was when we first heard it as lost sinners. We were doomed and without hope, appointed for destruction. But God still loved us so very much that he gave his Son Jesus to die for us.

When I stop and really meditate on this, I do become very ashamed that I have not lived as well as I ought as a Christian.

Rom 5:6 For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly.
7 For scarcely for a righteous man will one die: yet peradventure for a good man some would even dare to die.
8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

So, I don't think a Christian who really stops and considers the great love God showed for us by giving his Son Jesus can help but be convicted of sin.

Luke 7:36 And one of the Pharisees desired him that he would eat with him. And he went into the Pharisee's house, and sat down to meat.
37 And, behold, a woman in the city, which was a sinner, when she knew that Jesus sat at meat in the Pharisee's house, brought an alabaster box of ointment,
38 And stood at his feet behind him weeping, and began to wash his feet with tears, and did wipe them with the hairs of her head, and kissed his feet, and anointed them with the ointment.
39 Now when the Pharisee which had bidden him saw it, he spake within himself, saying, This man, if he were a prophet, would have known who and what manner of woman this is that toucheth him: for she is a sinner.
40 And Jesus answering said unto him, Simon, I have somewhat to say unto thee. And he saith, Master, say on.
41 There was a certain creditor which had two debtors: the one owed five hundred pence, and the other fifty.
42 And when they had nothing to pay, he frankly forgave them both. Tell me therefore, which of them will love him most? 43 Simon answered and said, I suppose that he, to whom he forgave most. And he said unto him, Thou hast rightly judged. 44 And he turned to the woman, and said unto Simon, Seest thou this woman? I entered into thine house, thou gavest me no water for my feet: but she hath washed my feet with tears, and wiped them with the hairs of her head. 45 Thou gavest me no kiss: but this woman since the time I came in hath not ceased to kiss my feet. 46 My head with oil thou didst not anoint: but this woman hath anointed my feet with ointment. 47 Wherefore I say unto thee, Her sins, which are many, are forgiven; for she loved much: but to whom little is forgiven, the same loveth little. 48 And he said unto her, Thy sins are forgiven.

So, when we stop and consider ourselves, and remember the great love God had for us in giving his Son Jesus, we cannot help but love him back.

1 John 4:19 We love him, because he first loved us.

Last edited by Winman; 06-06-2009 at 01:47 PM.