View Single Post
Old 05-15-2008, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB1789 View Post
Paladin54:---Shaazaam-Someone actually responded to a post...

Yep. Don't go down any rabbit trails concerning the "R" word, or one of the Brit. posters can/will bring up that "R" thing in 1776.

The point is that many Christians have served their nation in uniform. When there has been a war alarm [call to arms] they have left the plow, picked-up their weapon and served to protect the country. {Which is exactly what The Lord commanded the Israelites to do!}.
Edited...

I am still laughing at the 'R' word, I am a Brit and personally i think the War Of Independance was legitimate... mind you if we had not worn the Red Coats you may not have seen us coming...

Ok back to Topic... as has been demonstrated elsewhere here, Israel of Old was commanded to defend herself etc.. Hitting the NT it is interesting that no where is Military life ruled out, John The Baptist did not say quit or become deserters.. Luke 3:14 Also Acts 10 Cornelius I do not read of him leaving the Army?? Then in History there is the Theban Legion all martyred under Diocletian's reign.. There is plenty of evidence down through history of Christians in the Military.

This subject cannot be taken in isolation as it throws up the concept of 'the just war' e.g. WW1, WW2, Korea, Vietnam, Gulf War 1 & 2, Afghanistan etc how many if any where 'Just Wars'??
To fight a just war requires personnel, we are citizens of our country as well as heavenly citizens Philippians 3:20 but if our country is threatened or attacked as christians do we stand idly by and let others make the sacrifice?? Is that loving our neighbour??

Where do we stop, do you not have Christian Law Enforcement Officers?? Personally if you see someone attacked would you intervene or become reluctant in case you had to exert violence??

Anyone who has been in the military/law enforcement and who have been in Combat will tell you, you do not take life lightly but it is at times a necessary evil. We live in a fallen world with fallen people as well as ourselves. We need to support our men and women in Green and Blue, and hold our Politicians to account so that War is the last resort and justified within the context of saving life liberty and justice...
Every Blessing