View Single Post
Old 06-26-2009, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbiwolski View Post
Tony is on to the correct answer of the OP's question. The division made between the teachings of Paul and Christ is crucial.

The command to hate as given by Christ was to those who were to take up their crosses and follow him - no matter what.

Luke 14:26-27
If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple. And whosoever doth not bear his cross, and come after me, cannot be my disciple.

Read the verses carefully, there's alot of conditions given. The context is absolutely who will be Christ's disciples and who will not. It's not a statement of "I need disciples", but rather, "the road ahead is going to get rough, any takers?"

Later in Luke he gives the same men another exhortation. It is important to notice the strong tribulation context in the chapter (before and after the verses quoted below). It shows you Christ is "fitting" his men for the worst, and giving them doctrine for their salvation as well.

Luke 21:16-19
And ye shall be betrayed both by parents, and brethren, and kinsfolks, and friends; and some of you shall they cause to be put to death. And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake. But there shall not an hair of your head perish. In your patience possess ye your souls.

Notice the word "patience" directed to the disciples possessing their souls. If you want to do some studying on this, run the word in the latter books of the NT. Patience is a "must have" during the tribulation.

Back to the topic, the command in Luke 14 is a prerequisite to following Christ to the death. Luke 21 compliments the earlier command with the charge of "you will be put to death" with consent of those very family members, friends, etc.

Someone said the command to hate is comparative. This would line up with an OT passage in Gen. 29:30-31:

And he went in also unto Rachel, and he loved also Rachel more than Leah, and served with him yet seven other years. And when the LORD saw that Leah was hated, he opened her womb: but Rachel was barren.

So the "hate" is actually in comparison to the larger amount of love given to another.

I would say this is a good answer to the OP, yet I'm certain Christ had something else in mind (future) when he called his disciples with such conditions.

Finally, you and I are NOT Christ's disciples preparing to endure through a furious tribulation. We are not hated of all men for his name's sake etc. and the direct command does not apply to us.
Luke 14:25-26 And there went great multitudes with him: and he turned, and said unto them, If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.

Interesting…so is this command limited in application specifically to the “great multitude with him” whom had an opportunity to become His disciple and no application can be made to us today? The words “any man come to me” refer to whom? Do they only refer to any man who was in that specific multitude? Or are we [today] also a disciple of Christ through belief in Him, and therefore, should follow Him even if it calls for “hating” father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also? Is there an application to be made for us today? If so, what is it?

It is obvious from my posts on this Forum that I’m always driven by the practical application of Holy Scripture for believers today and if an application can be made without changing or corrupting God’s word I try to faithfully do that.

Personally, I believe my specific call at this point in my life is to edify the body of Christ by directing them to know, love, and follow Him. I never want to make an application that twists, bends, changes, or altars God’s word in order to do that. It’s encouraging to me that the Bible believing participants on this Forum have their own God given gift and style of teaching. I’ve benefited greatly.

2 Timothy 3:16-17 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.