View Single Post
Old 02-19-2009, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC@KJV View Post
Hello Everyone, Peace be with you.

I have a question regarding the thou, thy, thine, thee, ye,etc.. words in the KJV. I have asked this question before, so please bear with me, as I didn't get a clear answer.

Can someone PLEASE explain to me what each one means, and how it differs from You, yours and the modern day language.

I don't mean to be a nag, but Im realy interested in actually knowing the difference, so I can apply it to when I read my KJV.

Thank You, and be Blessed

Aloha IC@KJV,

Your question is quite appropriate, and the answer is quite simple:

YE / YOU <> THEE / THOU / THY / THINE

The use of the pronouns ye, you [plural] and thee, thou, thy, thine [singular] in the King James Bible greatly helps a believer in “rightly dividing the word of truth”. For instance: The King James Bible translators never used the word ye in the singular case. Every time the word ye show’s up in the King James Bible, it is always used to denote a plural pronoun (in reference to - more than one person).

YE, pronoun. The nominative plural of the second person, of which thou is the singular. But the two words have no radical connection. Ye is now used only in the sacred and solemn style. In common discourse and writing, you is exclusively used. But ye are washed, but ye are sanctified. 1 Corinthians 6.

YOU, pronoun Yu. You has been considered as in the plural only, and is so treated in the Saxon grammar. But from the Belgic dialect, it appears to be in the singular as well as the plural, and our universal popular usage, in applying it to a single person with a verb in the singular number, is correct. Yourself is in the singular number. 1. The pronoun of the second person, in the nominative or objective case. In familiar language, it is applied to an individual, as thou is in the solemn style. In the plural, it is used in the solemn style in the objective case. He that despiseth you, despiseth me. Luke 10.
Webster’s 1828 Dictionary.

And again in reference to the words thee, thou, thy, thine [singular] – The King James Bible translators always used these words in the singular case (in reference to a single person or nation, etc.). Knowing the distinction between thee, thou, thy, thine [singular] and ye, you [plural] helps the Bible believer to distinguish who is being addressed or spoken of.

THOU, pron. in the obj. thee. The second personal pronoun, in the singular number; the pronoun which is used in addressing persons in the solemn style.

Art thou he that should come? Matthew 11.
I will fear no evil, for thou art with me. Psalms 23.

Thou is used only in the solemn style, unless in very familiar language, and by the Quakers.
THOU, v.t. To treat with familiarity.

If thou thouest him some thrice, it shall not be amiss.

THOU, v.i. To use thou and thee in discourse.

THEE, pron. obj. case of thou.

THEE, v.i. To thrive; to prosper.

THINE, pronominal adj. Thy; belonging to thee; relating to thee; being the property of thee. It was formerly used for thy, before a vowel.

Then thou mightest eat grapes thy fill, at thine own pleasure. Deuteronomy 32.

But in common usage, thy is now used before a vowel in all cases.

The principal use of thine now is when a verb is interposed between this word and the noun to which it refers. I will not take any thing that is thine. Thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory.
In the following passage, thine is used as a substitute for thy righteousness.

I will make mention of thy righteousness, even of thine only. Psalms 71.

In some cases, it is preceded by the sign of the possessive case, like nouns, and is then also to be considered as a substitute.

If any of thine be driven out to the utmost parts of heaven - Deuteronomy 30.

It is to be observed that thine, like thou, is used only in the solemn style. In familiar and common language, your and yours are always used in the singular number as well as the plural.

THY, a. contracted from thine, or from some other derivative of thou. It is probable that the pronoun was originally thig, thug or thuk, and the adjective thigen. See Thou.

Thy is the adjective of thou, or a pronominal adjective, signifying of thee, or belonging to thee, like tuus in Latin. It is used in the solemn and grave style.

These are thy works, parent of good.
Webster’s 1828 Dictionary.

I hope this may have been of some help to you.