View Single Post
Old 02-08-2008, 11:45 PM
againstheresies

Default Response

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diligent View Post
The NKJV is just a marketing ploy to sell new versions to people who don't have any interest in new versions.

There are plenty of examples where the NKJV sides with critical text versions against the received Bible (KJV). Here are a few examples:
Job 17:1 (KJV) My breath is corrupt,
Job 17:1 (NKJV) "My spirit is broken,
Job 17:1 (NIV) My spirit is broken,
2Co 2:17 (KJV) For we are not as many, which corrupt the word of God:
2Co 2:17 (NKJV) For we are not, as so many, peddling the word of God;
2Co 2:17 (NIV) Unlike so many, we do not peddle the word of God for profit.
1Th 5:22 (KJV) Abstain from all appearance of evil.
1Th 5:22 (NKJV) Abstain from every form of evil.
1Th 5:22 (NIV) Avoid every kind of evil.
2Ti 2:15 (KJV) Study to shew thyself approved unto God,
2Ti 2:15 (NKJV) Be diligent to present yourself approved to God,
2Ti 2:15 (NASB) Be diligent to present yourself approved to God
And if the NKJV is supposed to be easier to understand, what does it side against the KJV with modern versions introducing a less-used word like this?
Ezr 8:36 (KJV) And they delivered the king's commissions unto the king's lieutenants,
Ezr 8:36 (NKJV) And they delivered the king's orders to the king's satraps
Ezr 8:36 (NIV) They also delivered the king's orders to the royal satraps
In all five of your examples you mentioned there are no variant readings. There is no difference in the Greek Text for the NT and no difference in the reading of the Hebrew text. For example, in the case of Job 17:1 the Hebrew word “ruwach” can mean “breath” or “spirit.” Usage determines meaning. The context is Job praying for relief. His spirit is broken. There is no textual variant here. “My spirit broken” clearly better conveys the meaning of “ruwach chabal” better than “My breath is corrupt.” The other examples you cited are the same. There is no textual variant or alternate reading in these verses.

The English readings are similar because they are modern renditions of the same texts. The KJV is more archaic in its rendering. This is not due to textual variants.

As to Ezra 8:36 “lieutenants” is not a good translation for the Persian word “achashdarpan.” This is a specific title for a Persian governor. It is a term for an ancient office holder much like Pharaoh. A satrap is an ancient Persian official that functions like a governor. Lieutenant does not convey that meaning at all thus I like the NKJV rendering. There are occasions where using a less familiar word makes more sense.